gPDF - a PDF generator for XOJO

gPDF is now available in both source code and encrypted class versions. gPDF is designed to create Adobe PDF (v1.7) documents using Graphics syntax you are already familiar with.

For more information :

Downloaded the Demo (which is still missing the smiley…)
Started it in Xojo 2015 R4 on El Capitan and got the following error:

Position: Window1.PushButton1.Action
Line: PDF.Output(f) // write the PDF stream to specified file
Error: KeyNotFoundException
PDF: On my Desktop are 3 gPDF_test PDF’s which can’t be opened.

[quote=236772:@Sascha S]Downloaded the Demo (which is still missing the smiley…)
Started it in Xojo 2015 R4 on El Capitan and got the following error:

Position: Window1.PushButton1.Action
Line: PDF.Output(f) // write the PDF stream to specified file
Error: KeyNotFoundException
PDF: On my Desktop are 3 gPDF_test PDF’s which can’t be opened.[/quote]
me too.

Fine on 10.10.5. Must be El Capitan asleep at the wheel again.
Great Job Dave.
The picture is still missing from the zip as Sascha mentioned.

mac os 10.9.5 - xojo 2015r31 - same problem “keynotfound exception”
3 pdf’s are made on the desktop but unable to open them.
smiley not included and had to choose another file.

Yes “must” be… :wink:

Oops! It’s not El Cap? O-M-G! :smiley:

The only thing mentioned, that I have not tried is XOJO 2015r4 (which I just did try)
othewise I cannot duplicate this error

Ok… I give up…
I have run this using both the encrypted version, and the source code version in every release of XOJO since r2013v3.1 up to and including r2015v4 … and I cannot duplictate this error… and obviously if I can’t duplicate it, I can’t fix it.

Question… to all of you who HAVE seen this error. Are you running the demo AS-IS. or have you tried testing something else (which is fine, but may point to the problem)?

I added a smile.jpg (1024x1024) because it’s missing.
That’s all i did. :slight_smile:

same with 2015R3.1… replaced the smiley with another image too :frowning:

3 files were created on my desktop… all not readable…

I DID just see something that all of you who reported this error have in common… You are all from Europe… .not that that SHOULD make a difference… but there may be an encoding issue of some kind that I don’t see.

Dave, did you try to delete the smiley picture, we all had to choose another image
may be it’s the key ?

[quote=236826:@Jean-Yves Pochez]Dave, did you try to delete the smiley picture, we all had to choose another image
may be it’s the key ?[/quote]
That would simply give “This item doesn’t exist” and point to a line in the open code for the demo “Window1.test_Graphics line 121”
or “The external “smiley” count not be found”

There are 4 dictionarys in the code… two dealing with fonts and character mapping

BINGO! I changed my keyboard to GERMAN… and NOW I can reproduce the ERROR! :slight_smile:
where the error is occurring makes zero sense… since it is in a Shape routine not a font one… but I will track it down

looks it might be related to use of decimal point vs comma in number formatting between USA and the rest of the world

That was the problem… [.] vs [,] in number formats and as delimiter in parameter strings

I have fixed this (and tested by switching my keyboard to German)… and will have a new demo uploaded within the hour

NEW DEMO ZIP FILE (including Smiley) HAS BEEN UPLOADED (same link as above)

Dave, same download link ?

[quote=236842:@luciano monti]Dave, same download link ?[/quote]yes

Dave, it works now on a Dutch Windows 10.

Thank you for the fast fix. Just purchased the Source Code a few moments ago. :slight_smile:

My apologies to the entire XOJO community.
I have removed gPDF from my website, and I have refunded all current purchases, and will not be accepting an new ones.

I wrote this package focused soley on the Latin alphabet with a few extra characters. And added “special” characters using HTML like names… but what I consider “special” others consider part of their everyday life. (The differences in printed language between the United States and Europe). Attempting to cover the umlats and other non-English use characters while still attempting to calculate the proper metrics (height width, kerning) etc, simply is not possible without going to the extra length of including embeded fonts.

Another failing is the fact the because XOJO for Web/Console do not support measuement in POINTS, and the Point/Pixel measurements of fonts vary greatly between OSX and Windows and even Desktop vs Console… there is (at least that I can find) no way to accuratly and consistently convert Pixel metrics to the required Point metrics.

But even with these limitations it’s a good alternative for anyone who can’t afford DynaPDF Pro&Co.
Because Xojo is unable or willing to deliver what they announced in 2011 (<https://xojo.com/issue/10701>) we NEED something like gPDF. Even if it has it’s limitations.

Please do not stop here. Write about the limitations on the Website. Clearly visible for anyone who is thinking about a purchase.

Regarding the special Chars/Signs, i was able to find a solution i can work with (because i need gPDF in a german project only and have full control of all used texts).

Keep up your good work please.

As an example. For any MBS License Owner, a simple EncodingToHTMLMBS fixes special Char issues :wink: