GotoUrl and new session when going back

I am facing the issue that I’m creating a pdf and I’m showing it via GotoURL( myWebfile.url). So far so good, the issue is only that it is shown in the same tab and when the user is then going back, a new session is created (in my case the login screen). Of course I could use to force a download instead of showing the pdf, but I’m interested to know if I’m missing something here. Kind of a workaround, aka a href forcing to open a page in a new tab or browser window. Once the file is created I obviously only want to show it, I have no need to keep the session context for showing the file.

You could simply show the pdf in a webhtmlwiever within your app.

Or you open the link in a new tab with control.showurl(theurl, true)

1 Like

good one, thank you - brings me to the idea of calling a Webdialog with an htmviewer and transferring the pdf to that dialogue … I have to try that tomorrow, enough coding (14h) for today ;-).

It works perfectly fine in a a web dialog. But I still believe that a GotoUrlEx function would be beneficial, means a GotoUrl which explicitly leaves the context of the app.

I opened a Feature Request for this:
<https://xojo.com/issue/62021>

Hi Jeannot!
The second parameter of GotoUrl (InNewWindow as Boolean = False) already specifies whether to open in a new window.

1 Like

Hi Antony,

Holy $ :slight_smile: - Life can be so easy … I closed the Feature Request :slight_smile: - thank you! At least I exercised a bit transferring variables to a web dialog …

1 Like

Update: @Anthony_G_Cyphers I can now recall why I didn’t use this. I tried it out a few months ago, but it is showing (a not so nice popup warning in a popup on Safari). But I just realized that this seems to be again a paranoid Apple thing in Safari only. Works “better” in Chrome, Firefox etc …

1 Like

Yes, you will run in to issues with popup blocking. Just the nature of the beast.

1 Like

Indeed, I am getting too old to waste time in trying to understand all “smart” changes Apple believes is adding more security and better user satisfaction … it is what it is ;-).

1 Like