Got an M1 MacBook Pro and trying to run Windows in beta of VMWare

I’m transferring a Catalina image to my M1 now. I’ll try to get it running tonight and I’ll start a new thread if it works out as this one is about Windows on VMWare.

Been there, done that. Was originally scheduled for delivery Nov 10-17, per my original order on Apple. Then late last week was told by Apple it would by “by Nov 8” but UPS tracking had it arriving Nov 1. It didn’t. UPS tracking then updated to say Nov 2 – and continued to all day yesterday (Nov 2). But it is out for delivery today – in fact UPS just pulled into neighbor’s yard so I may get VERY soon…

Mine went China > Korea > Alaska > cleared customs > out for delivery today

I’ve installed Windows 11 insider preview in Parallels 17 and so far everything seems to be working BUT, our VPN (Global Protect from Palo Alto) will not connect our client’s server. This is a MUST have situation so we are going to see if an upgrade is available that might fix the issue.

Nothing else seems to be problematic at this point and we’re ready to move forward with it as a production machine once the VPN issue is resolved.

What are issues with being part of Windows insider?
Is it free or costly? Is it mandatory to have a Microsoft account? (something I don’t want to do)
Any other bad side?

It is free. I don’t recall if I needed much more than a working email. I have not received other spam that I can attribute to being in the program.

That said, there is no guarantee Microsoft will continue to make the images available either. And I have no idea if a working VM with internet access could “phone home” and end up disabled one day.

So I expect to keep an Intel based machine around in my office. Just won’t travel with one anymore.

1 Like

Thank you for these clarifications.

I’m using the M1 version of Parallels on my iMac and it’s been working well. I started out with the ARM version of Windows 10 and then later upgraded it to Windows 11. All of my Xojo Windows builds work under this setup. The only thing that’s missing for me so far is that Xojo can’t be installed directly in the ARM version of Windows because the installer only works with the Intel version of Windows.

However, you can “remote debug” from the macOS side using its IDE so to me this isn’t a huge issue. And by doing so also only need to have a license assigned to the macOS install. Works for me.

I read it is not possible to use Parallels 17 to run macOS BigSur on a MBP M1 running macOS Monterey.
I find this hard to believe … why shouldn’t that work? And has anyone tried this yet?

It is because Parallels is Virtualisation (on the underlying processor) and not Emulation (of Intel processor).

Edit: I understand now, since Big Sur is available for M1 processors.

But Big Sur works on both.

Yeah, it’s odd Big Sur cannot be run in Parallels 17 when running Monterey. There is no reason why it wouldn’t, yet it seems it is not possible.

From what I read somewhere, it is due to some Apple restriction in the installer.

I have both an M1 mini on Big Sur, and now a MBP with M1 Max on Monterey. Plus Parallels 17. So I decided to try to set up a VM of Big Sur on my mini already on BS, hoping that I could then transfer that to my MBP on Monterey. But strangely, my searching the App Store from my Big Sur machine did not offer the Big Sur installer.

I did find the download link from web searches and it offered to let me download. After over 12GB of download, it puts up a dialog “Installation failed” with subtext “An error occurred while installing the selected updates” with no other information.

It is also not listed in the macOS section of the downloads of the Apple support pages. And I thought I should be able to download a *.dmg from the developer section but I can’t find it there either.

So I don’t know what else to try. The Parallels new VM installer states in part:

To create a virtual machine, you need a VHDX or ISO image with an ARM-based operating system.

They do have a knowledge base article on how to do a Monterey VM. And that macOS option appears when I do menu File > New from my MBP running Monterey but not from my mini running Big Sur.