Got an M1 MacBook Pro and trying to run Windows in beta of VMWare

Already have a few of the plugs (made one myself even, years and years ago) and I’ve replaced drives in a mini before. Unfortunately the latest minis do not have upgradable storage.

1 Like

After trying to install Windows 11 in the beta of VMWare (for the M1 Mac) for hours to no avail, I then decided to try installing Windows 11 in a trial version of Parallels 17. Worked first time and I am running Windows 11 insider preview in Parallels 17. Took maybe 5 minutes to install.

The issue I kept running into with VMWare is when I finally created the Win 11 ISO using the UUP Dump (to download the ISO), VMWare would not find the ISO and kept giving an error “Start PXE in IPv4”, then tried “Start PXE in IPv6”. Would not connect to the ISO. I read that this is a networking issue but not sure how that could affect my install other than bring it to a halt. No info that helped in the Fusion community discussions on VMWare’s site. I did find a video on Youtube that had step-by-step instructions for VMWare but it did not address the issue.

Also found a video for installing Win 11 insider preview in Parallels and following it worked perfectly.

I also read that the VMWare version for the Win 11 insider preview would not allow you to change the resolution and there were some networking issues that could cause issues. Seems like Parallels is the way to go right now… especially since it was so easy.

BTW, the Parallels install will use the VHDX file to install Win 11 that you download from the Window Insider website; where as VMWare requires an ISO which has to be built using the UUP Dump website.

https://youtu.be/wFlkqX-sFnU

1 Like

After reading this thread and watching this video, I am totally confused on this subject. Think of keeping my 2019 MBP and Mini for a while and see how things will go. And for Mac M1, the best thing would be compiling xojo apps for ARM. According to the roadmap, we have to wait anyway.

Yeah I have been running Windows 11 ARM in parallels on my M1 Mac Mini for a few weeks and seems to be working fine.

Not being able to change the resolution after installing Win 11 insider preview in VMWare preview for M1 Mac is a total deal killer. Resolution is stuck at 1024 X 768 - unusable for almost anyone.

Decided to go Parallels and it works like a champ and with no hiccups.

I do use a Mac Mini M1, but I also keep a 2015 Intel MacBook, so I can have both a Mac and Windows on the go.

That said, to develop for Windows, I still use a real PC.

1 Like

I just installed the Fusion preview, then the ARM version of Debian 11. I have the same issue.

with VMWare Tools, there are lots of things that may not work properly, resolution changes is one of them.

With Parallels, there is a setting under graphics called “Best for Retina display” that will change the resolution based on the screen size. Much better.

However, because it’s not an activated copy of Windows, you can’t change the default theme.

Here’s another option I’m not able to try yet: https://mac.getutm.app. Supposedly it can emulate x86 operating systems on M1 Macs.

I fought with it for a while when I got my M1. It was far too frustrating at the time, but hopefully it’s better now.

One thing to be careful of: many VMs do not have good GPU emulation. So if you are testing anything graphics heavy, a VM may not be the way to do it. Sometimes you gotta have real hardware…

Yeah. For me, I just need like stuff. For real Windows testing, my PC with a 5950x and 3080Ti will be way more than enough.

1 Like

Not able to try yet because still waiting on a machine? Or because you ran into trouble?

I was not even aware of this program, so thanks for the heads up. A quick search on their discussions does not lead to anyone trying to run Big Sur under Monterey. I already have Parallels 17, but am curious if I can find a way to run XCode 12. And was thinking having Big Sur in a VM may be one way to do that – except BS is not currently supported as a VM in Parallels unless on Intel hardware.

I’ve got the following config running for developing Windows apps on my M1max-64GB-32GPU:

• Parallells 17.1.0
  • Windows 11 Pro 21H2
  • Delphi XE and all my other Windows tools as TotalCmd, Irfanview, Installamate

Works lime a charm and have not experienced any problems with running and building intel binary apps.

I’m waiting on my machine. UPS seems confused. They claim it’ll be delivered today, but it only left Korea at about 10pm EST last night. Last checkin, it reached Alaska where I imagine customs is slowing things down. It’s almost as if UPS forgot customs was a thing.

I’m also having no issues. Even activated with a Windows 10 key. I still do metal testing as well, but I’m really not seeing any differences now.

Yeah for me, Windows is probably the least of my concerns. I have real PC hardware. Running the old macOS versions is my trouble area.

Ah. UTM might be the only viable path if it works as advertised now.

My current plan is to keep my 2017 MBP for Intel compatibility, trade the 2013 MBP for $330. But we’ll see if I can make UTM work, because that would be more convenient.