Go To Location useful or useless ?

Is Go To Location useful or useless for you ?

or

Did you ever use Go To Location ?

I was reading the documentation and found Go To Location. The first words are If you know its name ring a bell in my head: this recalls me the good old DOS 3.3 times (not really because I was not a fan of the text interface).

What if the Go To Location had a List Box * that shows the Navigator entries,
then display the entries (first Child)) for the selected Row (clearing the previous contents to be easy)
then display the other Childs as the user clicks in Listbox Rows.

A simple click to to down (Childs) / up (Parents) in the location hierarchy, (go up: a simple icon in Row 0 will make the interface)
A double click to go to the desired location.

Just an early Sunday morning rain idea.

Xojo: if one or many of the ideas above pleased you, use it (them) freely !

• List Box (sic) as you can read in the documentation !

Go to Location is an AutoComplete field though. If you want something that searches, use Find or the navigator filter.

Uh you described the Navigator…

Useless… as a matter of fact I have been using Xojo (RealBasic/RealStudio) for 12+ years and didn’t realize it was even there, until this post brought it to my attention… But I found that even with my largest project, using the Find or Filter is WAY more useful, assuming I don’t eyeball it in the left pane even faster.

I use it to jump around the Shorts project all the time.
It’s quite useful when you know the name of the object.

I only wish that the shortcut matched the Finder’s for Go To Location.
However, on Mac that can be changed with System Preferences.

I use “// TODO:” and "// NOTE:"to create entries that I need to find easily and quickly. Open the Find panel, type “// TODO:” - easy to access and very fast.

I use GTL all the time. More than I use the navigator probably.

I am with Thom - though I’m still doing all my editing in the Real Studio IDE, where it was easier to use.

I use it both to get to modules and classes by typing part of their name, then pressing tab for auto-completion as well as copy the address often, for documentation etc.

[quote=315506:@Thomas Tempelmann]I am with Thom - though I’m still doing all my editing in the Real Studio IDE, where it was easier to use.

I use it both to get to modules and classes by typing part of their name, then pressing tab for auto-completion as well as copy the address often, for documentation etc.[/quote]
Curious, why is GTL easier in the Real Studio IDE? I don’t think that feature changed at all.

The editfield used to be right at the top of the window, like an address bar. Now it’s a separate dialog, which requires more kbd hits and clicks.

Oh. Personally I think it’s simpler this way. Cmd-Shift-L, type, return. No need to tab repeatedly until you hit the field. Though it’s been so long since I’ve used the Real Studio IDE that I don’t recall if Cmd-Shift-L worked there too.

I’m a fan of the cmd-shift-L, type, tab, return method.

In RS, it’s Cmd-L. That’s one fewer key :slight_smile: And I still want to use the Tab key because I often have multiple choices, so that doesn’t save me anything.

But I was also thinking of editing an exiting address by clicking into the middle of it, then changing the rest with typing. That’s a bit more cumbersome now, and I use that a lot, especially when dealing with “name spaced” classes inside modules.