Getting speed of internet connection

Is there a simple way to get a rough estimation for the speed of the internet connection?

I’m getting headers for IMAP messages. Getting 10 headers at once is faster than getting 10 times a single header. I’m wondering how much I can improve this for larger mailboxes. If the internet connection speed is 100 mbit/s then I could get more headers in one go than for 1 mbit/s.

You can place a filepackage on your webserver with a known filesize (f.e. 1,000 KB).
Then download it and calculate the time which the download takes. So you can calculate the internet connection speed.

Thanks Lars, I’ll try that.

Or do the speed test at https://www.wieistmeineip.de

[quote=303285:@Beatrix Willius]Is there a simple way to get a rough estimation for the speed of the internet connection?

I’m getting headers for IMAP messages. Getting 10 headers at once is faster than getting 10 times a single header. I’m wondering how much I can improve this for larger mailboxes. If the internet connection speed is 100 mbit/s then I could get more headers in one go than for 1 mbit/s.[/quote]
Just FYI, the reason for this speed increase is probably because each request carries a certain amount of connection and header overhead. [quote=303289:@Lars Lehmann]You can place a filepackage on your webserver with a known filesize (f.e. 1,000 KB).
Then download it and calculate the time which the download takes. So you can calculate the internet connection speed.[/quote]
It’s worth pointing out that connections tend to burst the first few seconds of data and then drastically slow down. You might want to try 1K, 10K, 100K (and if it’s still fast 1MB) to get a more accurate measurement. Also, remember that all packets don’t take the same route from point A to point B. Data speed can wildly vary from moment to moment.