Getting ordinal numbers from integers in the local language

Hi -

I want to get ordinals from an integer - e.g. 1 -> “1st”, 21 -> “21st” and so on.

I’ve done this with this function:

[code] if i < 1 then return “”

dim ends() as string = array(“th”,“st”,“nd”,“rd”,“th”,“th”,“th”,“th”,“th”,“th”)
if i mod 100 >= 11 and i mod 100 <= 13 then
return cStr( i ) + “th”
else
return cStr( i ) + ends( i mod 10 )
end if
[/code]

which is working well for English. Is there a way of doing it for other languages - perhaps with a Shell command? (Must work on Mac and Windows) Or an MBS plugin?

I’d also quite like to have a textual option as well - so 121 -> “One hundred and twenty-first” (and other languages).

Any help appreciated…

look at the Method ‘inWorten’ in this Project
( it’s only in german, you can translate the words)

I use it to show the Numbers as text.

Hey @Axel Schneider,

Thanks for this - that’s the sort of thing I was looking for, but I was hoping there might be a native command to do it in the locale we’re in, to save me doing it in English and French and German and Italian and… !

Thanks,

Hamish

That’s a lot of bear … :wink:

[quote=208402:@Hamish Symington]Hey @Axel Schneider,

Thanks for this - that’s the sort of thing I was looking for, but I was hoping there might be a native command to do it in the locale we’re in, to save me doing it in English and French and German and Italian and… !

Thanks,

Hamish[/quote]
On OS X you’d need NSNumberFormatter using NSNumberFormatterSpellOutStyle
Dunno about Windows

AFAIK there is no system call to do that in Windows. All the examples of digits to word I found in Windows are code, not framework call.

Thanks, Norman. Not being terribly well up on Declares, I’ve put together the following, but it’s giving me a blank message box. Any chance of a shove in the right direction?

declare function NSNumberFormatter lib "Foundation" Selector "localizedStringFromNumber:numberStyle:" (input as double, type as ptr) as CFStringRef declare function NSClassFromString Lib "Cocoa.framework" (aClassName As CFStringRef) As Ptr dim myPtr as ptr = NSClassFromString("NSNumberFormatterNoStyle") MsgBox( NSNumberFormatter( 5, myPtr ) )

[code]Declare Function NSClassFromString Lib “Foundation” (aClassName As CFStringRef) As Ptr
Declare Function numberWithInteger Lib “Foundation” Selector “numberWithInteger:” _
(NSNumberClass As Ptr, value As Int32) As Ptr
Declare Function localizedStringFromNumber Lib “Foundation” Selector “localizedStringFromNumber:numberStyle:” _
(NSNumberFormatter As Ptr, NSNumber As Ptr, NSNumberFormatterStyle As UInt32) As CFStringRef

Const SpellOutStyle = 5

Dim numberPtr As Ptr = numberWithInteger(NSClassFromString(“NSNumber”), 124)
Dim numberAsString = localizedStringFromNumber(NSClassFromString(“NSNumberFormatter”), numberPtr, _
SpellOutStyle)[/code]

I should note that, while Eli’s answer is dead helpful, it’s not quite answering the original question, which was to try to take e.g. 124 and convert it to 124th, but in the locale of the current user. So, if in French, it’d be 124me and so on. I can’t see anything in the NSNumberFormatter to do with this, so I’m not sure it’s possible.

Thank You, Eli

The last line has a Syntax Error, should be
Dim number As String

Works also with Double

Function DoubleToSpellOutStyle(word as string) As String
  dim wordvalue as Double = val(word)
  Declare Function NSClassFromString Lib "Foundation" (aClassName As CFStringRef) As Ptr
  Declare Function numberWithDouble Lib "Foundation" Selector "numberWithDouble:" _
  (NSNumberClass As Ptr, value As Double) As Ptr
  Declare Function localizedStringFromNumber Lib "Foundation" Selector _
  "localizedStringFromNumber:numberStyle:" _
  (NSNumberFormatter As Ptr, NSNumber As Ptr, NSNumberFormatterStyle As UInt32) As CFStringRef

Const SpellOutStyle = 5

Dim numberPtr As Ptr = numberWithDouble(NSClassFromString("NSNumber"), wordvalue)
  Dim numberstring As String = localizedStringFromNumber(NSClassFromString _
  ("NSNumberFormatter"), numberPtr, SpellOutStyle)

return numberstring
End Function

In German there is not that kind of writing. (only number and point)

You write
‘1st of May’, in German it is ‘1.Mai’
‘2nd Division’ = ‘2.Liga’

FormatterKit has TTTOrdinalNumberFormatter