GetFolderItem from Server with SMB Path

I’ve connected my mac to a server and I’m trying to access a folderitem on the server

On windows I do:
GetFolderItem("\\test.local\docs\commissions", FolderItem.PathTypeAbsolute)

When I inspect the folder in Finder on my mac I get:
smb://test.local/docs/Commissions

But when I try to access it in xojo it keeps failing to find the folder item
So far I’ve tried

GetFolderItem("//test.local/docs/Commissions", FolderItem.PathTypeAbsolute) GetFolderItem("smb://test.local/docs/Commissions", FolderItem.PathTypeAbsolute) GetFolderItem("//test.local/docs/Commissions", FolderItem.PathTypeNative) GetFolderItem("smb://test.local/docs/Commissions", FolderItem.PathTypeNative)

Does anyone know what the proper way to get to the server folderitem from a mac?

It might be /Volumes/VolumeName/… if that volume is mounted on the Mac Desktop.

Hal is probably right. To test this on mac, open a Terminal.app window, and drag the file to the window - you’ll see the full pathname.

Thanks guys! The dragging it into terminal helped expose the actual path that finder wasn’t showing me. And in the Volumes folder is where it was! :smiley:

I just remembered one other bit of info about this. The name of the volume might not actually be the name you expect. Let’s say you’re connected to a remote volume “Dork”. If you connect to another volume with the same name I think it will mount as ‘Dork-1’ or something like that. I don’t think I’ve ever run into that in real life though…

I just googled about that and found this which sounds similar: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6347501

you could likely use the command line diskutil to see what the mounted name of the smb volume is to pick up the actual name it mounted under

I think that’s what dragging it into the terminal window kind of did for me. Got the actual path instead of the SMB one

I meant programmatically that you might be able to use diskutil to find the smb mount path in the output and then figure out from that what the actual mount point in /Volumes is since diskutil will tell you the name it got mounted under

that way if its NOT always that specific mount point in macOS you could still find it