get controls by name

I have 8 textfield on my window, I named them as txt_msg_1, txt_msg_2,…, txt_msg_8. If I read a text file line by line, and want to put txt_msg_1 with line1, txt_msg_2 with line2…

How can I do with a for loop, such as

for i as integer = 1 to 8 txt_msg_(i). text = line(i) next

I know in VB.NET I can use Ctype to get controls by name, does XOJO did the similar way or has another method? Thanks!

I don’t know about a Ctype function, but maybe someone else might know about a similar function. I think it is recommended that you use a Control Set with each of the txt_msg textfields having an index 0-7 (arrays are 0 based). Then in your loop you can do exactly what you have above, except loop from 0 to 7. If that loop is going to be nested in any other for…next loops, then make sure your end of the loop is next i, instead of just next.

you can do it like this

dim i as integer
dim ctrl as control
  For i=0 To Me.ControlCount-1
    ctrl=Me.control(i)

If ctrl IsA TextFieldl and  ctrl.Name="mycontrol" and ctrl.index=myIndex then 
do whatever
        exit for
    end if
next i

ME is current window

[quote=46555:@Dave S]you can do it like this

dim i as integer
dim ctrl as control
  For i=0 To Me.ControlCount-1
    ctrl=Me.control(i)

If ctrl IsA TextFieldl and  ctrl.Name="mycontrol" and ctrl.index=myIndex then 
do whatever
        exit for
    end if
next i

ME is current window[/quote]

Thanks! But just curious, do I have to search all the controls within the window every time when I want to get a certain control?

It’s simple to write a

Ctype(Me.Controls("Txt_msg_" + i.tostring), textbox). text = line(i)

than to have a for loop.

But if there is no other way to do it, it’s better than nothing. =)

Control Sets would be the simplest way to do what you want. You can read about them here: http://developer.xojo.com/userguide/desktop-control-sets