FTP inside IDE.

Hi all.
Reading the feedback i’ve found this case.
14679 - add an FTP client to the IDE for use with web edition

Unfortunately, you said, that this feature will be not implemented !

I wondered why ?
I don’t understand this decision !
So for you, you thing that’s not useful ?

In another hand, you provide an upload to the cloud, and you don’t want to make a simple FTP client!?
Even if SFTP will not be implemented at first, but at least bring an FTP client please.

This is not complicated to make this function.

Regards

We created a proprietary protocol for uploading to Xojo Cloud, so we don’t need another system.

Greg.

So, you don’t care any demand from customers?!
Just for example: “Yes, it could be a good idea, …we will try in a future version…or else”.
Here. NO!
I’m pretty frustrated.

Maybe you don’t need to have another system. But i think that, being client, we could need a such feature, doesn’t it?
Just an idea like that.
I believe it’s not too complicated to make this feature i guess.
Your response is not constructive Greg !

I think it’s positive for improving your IDE and Xojo. Right?

You are not fair to Greg, Franck. You are speaking about a Programming Environtment and most of us prefer improving the Xojo Development capabilitys instead of extending the IDE for Features which are not related to Xojo development. And Greg and the all the other Teammembers of Xojo well known in this Forum, are far more willing to help than any other Team i know of.

For your FTP needs, you could use an App which is specialized on FTP stuff.

:slight_smile:

Personally, I use https://filezilla-project.org/

( I use it on Windows, but there are versions for Mac & Linux )

[quote=223222:@Chris Carter]Personally, I use https://filezilla-project.org/

( I use it on Windows, but there are versions for Mac & Linux )[/quote]

On Mac i can highly recommend Transmit from Panic Inc.

[quote=223213:@Franck Danard]So, you don’t care any demand from customers?!
Just for example: “Yes, it could be a good idea, …we will try in a future version…or else”.
Here. NO!
I’m pretty frustrated.

Maybe you don’t need to have another system. But i think that, being client, we could need a such feature, doesn’t it?
Just an idea like that.
I believe it’s not too complicated to make this fe[/quote]

Frank, I see you regularly venting against Xojo in an accusatory way. I am not sure this is the best approach when one needs a favor.

In practical terms, I would try and explore Command Line FTP or SFTP clients called from Shell as an immediate solution.
See http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/FTP-4.html for instance.

Hey guys, be quiet. Please.

I just try to explain my opinions about Xojo and maybe try to give you some ideas for improve Xojo.
I don’t hate Greg. sure. Sure a good guy.

But to be honest, i can’t hear “No we don’t need this feature”, sorry.
That’s all.

You talking about “I see you regularly venting against Xojo in an accusatory way”
False… this is only the second once…Perhaps. So. this i not usual… :wink:

My mind was : To be useful to have this kind of features… end of post

I haven’t read the FB case as I’m on my phone, but…
Are you after a full blown FTP client or just something similar to a Publish" feature to upload the built app to a predefined location on an ftp server?

The latter can probably be done with a post build script or something, maybe :slight_smile:

I also think FTP integrated would be useful. I do not use Xojo Web, but if I did, I would sure need a one click publish option for FTP.

Having only the Xojo Cloud option for deployment via the IDE limits the user.

But yeah, a post build script could be made to upload to FTP immediately.

It is not be as simple as simply uploading in a post build script.

To update a web app, the previous version must be stopped, and for Standalone builds it must be restarted. That is a whole lot more complicated, since such a manipulation is only available through SSH command line after entering a password and looking at process numbers. Difficult to automate, potentially dangerous.

Unless extraordinary circumstance, one does not update web apps ten times a day. Maybe upon initial deployment, and yet one is supposed to have largely debugged locally. When the app is stable online, how many times does one need to update ? Every quarter ? Less often even ? Using an FTP client such as CyberDuck or FileZilla should not be out of reach of any moderately competent user.

For a turney solution which requires no special competence, I wholeheartedly recommend Xojo Cloud over DIY.

Still, it CAN be done though not simple :slight_smile:
A bash script that logs in through SSH(key instead of passw) and performs actions to stop the currently running app and then uploads the new version and starts it(if standalone).
But you’re absolutely right. Way to much work for a process that isn’t performed 10 times/day.

[quote=223254:@Albin Kiland]Still, it CAN be done though not simple :slight_smile:
A bash script that logs in through SSH(key instead of passw) and performs actions to stop the currently running app and then uploads the new version and starts it(if standalone).
But you’re absolutely right. Way to much work for a process that isn’t performed 10 times/day.[/quote]

Stopping the app may prove a bit challenging, but indeed, anything can be done. Then it really is a matter of benefit over friction coefficient. Just like the decision for Xojo not to implement the feature request number 14679. In his closing commentary, Greg makes very good sense :

This case has been closed because it has been decided that this feature will not be implemented. There are too many variables involved in FTP let alone the different server configs. Realistically users should be using SFTP or FTPS

I much rather have Web Drag and Drop, 64 bit, Pi and iOS, than a much less strategic feature that would have distracted Xojo engineers quite a bit for a few users who should be able to use a separate client.