Forum - showing full name (Not good!)

But should users have that right? Who has the higher “right”? Someone who wan’t to know who is talking to them, or someone who want’s to protect their private life?

Are you talking about my name? Anthony already changed it, I can see your full name without being logged in.

Please message @Dana_Brown with name change requests.

And that is why people create online profiles, so their private names and identifying information is not displayed to the public in perpetuity.

A person should not have to open themselves up to stalkers just to have a discussion about your product.

I will send through my name change request.

1 Like

I read this as meaning:

1. Do not talk to us or the community about our product
  2. If you want to participate in the community, you MUST identify yourself publicly as per our own guidelines or refer point 1.

It sounds like you are saying, “learn how to hold your breath, or don’t go in the water,” and we’re asking, why can’t we have snorkle gear?

I don’t have any problem with the xojo administrators knowing who I am from a legal, compliance and “social good” standard. But I am not happy to use personally identifying information to partake in a community I paid to be a part of.

A pseudonym is acceptable in almost all walks of life, on and offline. Given the prevelance of “idiots in the real world” it would only take moments for someone who knows very little about me to identify that I was awake at 3am on a Tuesday morning and although it may have no relevance to you, it could mean everything to a stalker.

It’s forseeable that an ex-partner or disgruntled co-worker who knows I use xojo , knows my name (or how you enforce limited names), and my writing style could quickly identify when I’m on the computer, when I’m away or unresponsive, or determine many things about me based on what I say (appropriately) online. As mentioned to Dana, I have no problem with forum administrators knowing who I am, but to enforce me having to publicly identify myself to the internet to discuss your product is negligent and very much Orwellian.

It is your forum, your rules, I only ask that you respect my right to privacy and still allow me to have a discussion about xojo. My right to privacy should outweigh Bill from Toronto’s right to identify me. (Sorry to any Bill’s from Toronto!) :slight_smile:

Submitted for consideration.

4 Likes

Hi Dave. I understand your concern. There are certainly exceptions to the rule for good reasons and it sounds like you both understand where we are coming from but also need an exception to be made.

Please contact customer service and they will help you get your forum name changed. You can contact them at custserv@xojo.com.

1 Like

In my opinion, the reasons stated by Dave apply to everyone, they are not exceptions.

Julen

5 Likes

When I think about what machine learning can do today, I want more control over my personal information. Admins and mods have more than enough options to measure undesirable behavior. :unamused:

3 Likes

i wish that all personal information as example if you visited a doctor is at your own cloud storage and
if someone need this he or his software should make a api request to read it temporary.
all big companys are master in data collecting & analysis.

1 Like

So that “evil” data collectors do not need to scan the Internet and “hack” various databases. :wink:

i not meant that everybody have free access :wink:

In theses days it is usual that when you apply for a new job your new employer also does some Google-search. Maybe you participated 10 years ago in a forum (real names required) in heated discussion about politics. Maybe today, your opinion from 10 years ago is not any longer politically correct. Will you get the job?
Even stating simple scientific facts online can get you fired from your university job or they can be an obstacle when searching for a new job.
In the end, requiring real names in a forum can lead to more civilzed conversations but it surely also will hinder people speaking up freely.

2 Likes

Signed! It CAN lead to more civilized convs but it WILL hinder people speaking up freely.

1 Like

@Dana_Brown @Geoff_Perlman
Wouldn’t it be a good solution, if one can simply choose from a list of options how the name is displayed?

• Lars Lehmann
  • Lars L
  • L Lehmann

So you can decide which form can be allowed and everyone who have concerns about privacy is satisfied.
I know that this is possible with discourse.

Btw:
I am pretty sure that the GDPR applies to Xojo, even though you haven’t a company location in the EU. Look at the scrrenshot I attach and also the fact, that the next XDC is in London (not EU though, but Europe), shows that you define your customer group globally. This includes, that you should/have to respect the GDPR. And not only on a voluntary base.
(My opinion as a CEO whos daily business is to deal with data privacy authorities in the EU.)

5 Likes

Disclaimer: I am no lawyer, I just studied data privacy law during the last five years. So I might be wrong with this opinion.
However, such a list to choose from would be awesome and would end this long discussion. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Freedom for Nicknames :space_invader:
pseudonymized personal data is also a case.
the display name should be free for edit in my opinion.

2 Likes

Would anbody of Xojo Staff unname me too? In old forum I was only named with “Tomas J” please rename me to “Tomas” or alternatively “jakobssystems”.

This is quite disturbing how Xojo deals with Privacy concealing full names without proper information or consent! For your information in EU this would be unlawful! For me it’s okay for registred members, but not okay for the whole Internet.

Update: adding @Dana_Brown

2 Likes

What bothers me the most is that Xojo defacto writes: Stick to our guidelines (which are by definition, rules) or stay away!

Would they really prefer us to move to a place (like Reddit f.e.) where they have less control over our “free speech”?

5 Likes

Again, Xojo sells a product/service to EU citizens, therefore it is subject to the GDPR. The GDPR is crystal clear about its extraterritorial scope. If you do not want to be subject to the EU, in this case, you need to block the EU users form accessing the Xojo website, the Xojo forum and Xojo Cloud. Some big American businesses do that already when they can not comply with the GDPR.

Regarding, " foreign bad actors interfering with other countries’ elections." this is not the concern here. This is your personal opinion which has nothing to do with respecting the GDPR.

3 Likes

Also Xojo has eu employees if i’m not mistaken, these have access to our private information. And every browser caches information thus therefore private data is stored on every visitor’s machine like username, post data etc depending on cache settings

1 Like