Feedback System - Catch 22

Attempted to open Feedback
Indicated there was a new version, that I would have to install in order to continue
“SOFTWARE UPDATE FAILED… The update was unable to be installed… Install Manually?”
Yes
Double Click exposed DMG file
ERROR : Resource Busy

Note : No XOJO products other than this installer are/were running

I’d put this into FEEDBACK as an Issue… but I can’t install Feedback… hence “Catch-22”

This has happened to a lot of people here. The steps are scattered throughout the forum… First open disk utility. Unmount the dmg then re-open it. Proceed with install.

And Xojo wonders why the level of feedback is neglected… this is exactly the reason… plus personally I find it very un-user friendly, but perhaps thats just me

FYI… there is no mounted DMG, and the DMG is not in the download folder… so I have not way of knowing where it ended up…

matter of fact just searched my whole system, and there are no DMG files that meet the naming convention of “feedback

The Xojo guys have moved away from my old updater code. It use to work fine, but Mac OS changed and the code never evolved to compensate.

Plus Feedback used the traditional “old version installs new version” update scheme, which in practice ALWAYS becomes a bad idea at some point. Best option is in my opinion is “old version downloads updater, which installs new version.”

So going forward, I wouldn’t expect it to be an issue. The new versions simply download the DMG and allow you to do it all yourself. Not as automated as I’d like personally, but it’s certainly better than the broken option.

[quote=182696:@Dave S]And Xojo wonders why the level of feedback is neglected… this is exactly the reason… plus personally I find it very un-user friendly, but perhaps thats just me

FYI… there is no mounted DMG, and the DMG is not in the download folder… so I have not way of knowing where it ended up…

matter of fact just searched my whole system, and there are no DMG files that meet the naming convention of “feedback”[/quote]

Just download the new version from Xojo.com. The updater never worked for me. Neither did the broken Help routine that lets the user think it will install it.

As a matter of fact, I fail to understand how Xojo engineers and all their might could not simply throw the Feedback app into the IDE install. At least on Mac and Windows, a helper is far from being that difficult.

You mean have Feedback included with the IDE ready to go? Too restrictive. If Feedback were only to ever be released on the same schedule as the IDE, this would be acceptable. But it isn’t. It also isn’t generally acceptable to have multiple copies of Feedback on a system, but the IDE it is okay.

I used to run into this “install Feedback” problem but now, anytime a new version of Xojo comes out, after downloading it, I download Feedback and install them both. Since doing this I have never had a problem running or installing Feedback. I can only guess that by doing this I am keeping Xojo and Feedback in sync, or at least always using the most current version of Feedback. The aggravation is now gone.

Not just you - but another mild catch-22 is that I would have to use it to suggest some changes - and I’d hate to divert Xojo efforts into that UI instead of bug fixing.