Example Tutorial Video Request

@Paul Lefebvre - How about a video documenting creating a multi-View app using a Multi-segment control and multiple views?

Basically, a TabPanel style Desktop app under iOS.

I’m not sure what you mean by “multi-segment control”, but the EE-iOS example does have multiple views in a TabView. I do need to see about getting it to use a Split on iPad, though.

What sort of app did you have in mind?

Have you seen this video yet?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lqbz0k44dsA#t=511

Is there currently an example of a landscape iPad app, which has a single column navigation area on the left, and the main content on the right?

I know that might seem pretty exact, but most of my apps would be in that format, and would be good to see how the left side stays static, whilst the right side is dynamic.

Four views for iPhone -

• First view calculates time values based on user option selections
  • Second view displays quantity information based on user option selects
  • Third view displays a video player that retrieves videos from a remote site (possibly YouTube)
  • Fourth view is a web view linked to an inventory database

Three views for iPad -

• First view displays the combination of the first two iPhone views
  • Second view displays the videos
  • Third view displays the inventory database

Tim - where did you find that video?

[quote=150630:@Tim Parnell]Have you seen this video yet?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lqbz0k44dsA#t=511[/quote]
Genius Tim! That’s exactly the info that we need (also answers Richard’s question in a skewed, one eye view way :slight_smile: ).

One consolation - at least I now know there is someone else who codes as good as I do :slight_smile:

You missed the main tip - click on the tabs on the screen to change tabs and then specify the view contained in that tab.

Examples/iOS/Controls/SplitViewExample is a very simple example that shows how to do that.

Hmm… I looked at that example Paul, and it shows me what looks like an iPhone in portrait mode, which displays a list in one view, which in turn then displays another separate view.

I was looking for 2 areas in 1 view (as in Apple Mail)
The left side permanently on display - which updates the right side.

Am I missing something here?

Apparently. Change the Simulator Device from iPhone to iPad and run it.

No, I had not. That was entertaining.

This is the pertinent info from the online docs:

[quote]Screens
You can change the preview mode for the screen by using the toolbar buttons to change the orientation (portrait or landscape) and the device type. These settings affect the preview only and do not affect how the app runs.

The Inspector for a Screen has two sections of importance: Screen Layout and Supported Orientations.

The Screen Layout setting allows you to specify how the initial display looks. There are three choices: View, Split and Tabs.

View
By default, Screen Layout simply points to View1. This is the view that will be displayed on the screen, filling it entirely.

Split
A Split layout (SplitView) allows you to split the screen into two sections (a master on the left and a detail on the right). Each of these sections is its own View. This layout is only available on iPad-sized devices running in landscape. The Mail app included with iOS is an example of a SplitView in action. It displays the email messages on the left and the selected message in the detail area on the right. You can also have each section of a Split be a Tab.

Tabs
Much like with a desktop app, the tabs layout allows you to have multiple views that the user can select by using the tab control. In the case of iOS apps, the tab control is displayed at the bottom of the screen. For an example, the iOS Clock app uses tabs at the bottom to select the type of clock you want to use. Use the Edit button for the Tabs property to add or remove tabs. Use the Tab 0 Content property to specify the initial View to display in the each tab. You’ll need to click on each tab on the Screen to change the tab so that you can set the View for it.[/quote]

I just added the last sentence that you have to click on each tab to set the view.

The iOS Applications section of User Guide Book 1 also has some information on how to set up Tabs. I’ll be beefing up the User Guide with more iOS information as I spend more time with it.

Anyway, I’m putting together topics for the 2015 webinars. I’m sure many will be on iOS and covering tabs and splits is certainly going to be at least one of the topics.

@Tim Parnell - Here’s Paul’s latest on Tabs:

Tabs
Much like with a desktop app, the tabs layout allows you to have multiple views that the user can select by using the tab control. In the case of iOS apps, the tab control is displayed at the bottom of the screen. For an example, the iOS Clock app uses tabs at the bottom to select the type of clock you want to use. Use the Edit button for the Tabs property to add or remove tabs. Use the Tab 0 Content property to specify the initial View to display in the each tab. You’ll need to click on each tab on the Screen to change the tab so that you can set the View for it.

It does need to be a bit more filled out, but once you know that you add the tab or split container view the Screen, rather than the view, you’ll head in the right direction.

Also, a better clarification of the purpose and hierarchical position of a Screen / Screen Layout / View would be helpful.