Evaluating - how can there be no DataGrid

how can there be no DataGrid
No Feature asked in the 20 top first features demands.

No engineer time can be allowed to that.
There was a plugin available (until recently apparently)

Many other priority features in the work.

Probably many other reasons.

@Joost Rongen try this copy DataView_piDogScrollingCanvas_1.12.3.2.zip
Iā€™m still not sure why the other one gave you problems. I downloaded it on my Windows 10 install and it ran in 2017r3
I did add in some improvements to rendering speed and scrollbars for WIndows. Also moved the images into a module so you donā€™t need to relocate them for the IDE.
I donā€™t know if it makes a difference, but I compressed it without all the Mac files- .dsstore stuff etc.
Let me know if it gives you any trouble.
(The dog is doing well BTW.)

@jim mckay loading the demo project (2017r3 win10) works well now, but when I try to run the project right away it get this. Something missing I guess.

@Joost Rongen : do you have any plugin installed that could interfere? Have you tried without plugins?

I found the problem. Not sure how it hasnā€™t caused problems before, but it has now been corrected.

DataView_piDogScrollingCanvas_1.12.3.3.zip

It was a name conflict between a local variable and a class property.

@Joost Rongen sorry about the annoyance, but thanks for not giving up too fast.

[quote=408449:@Jean-Yves Pochez]no more support for this one (and stylegrid too)
[/quote]
I do have a StyleGrid bridge module Iā€™ve worked on a bit. Itā€™s not complete, but if anyone would like to try it just message me and Iā€™ll send a copy.

Iā€™ve already converted the last of my projects which still used StyleGrid over to your DataView. I should have asked about this before converting them all myselfā€¦

Itā€™s a pretty recent thing and really just a temporary solution. Not super efficient since it has to manage all the StyleGridRow, StyleGridCell etc objects on top of the internal DataView data.
Maybe a ā€œMoving to DataViewā€ tutorial would be a better idea.

If anyone downloaded the 1.12.3.3 please re-download.
Hereā€™s a link that will always download the latest version.
(For anyone who finds this thread in the future) Current DataView Zip

Thatā€™s what I get for working before the coffee kicks in.

@jim mckay - the problem isnā€™t be solved with version 1.12.3.4. I know some colleague xojo developers are happy with Dataview so no doubt, we are dealing with a strange problem occurring in rare situations like mine.

Hello Jim mckay,
Thanks for the excellent tool you created.
I have found some bugs in the latest version 1.12.3.4 on windows 10 and send you a personal mail with all the bugs found. Could you please fix them.

Iā€™m taking a look now. Iā€™ll email you privately for more details on a couple of items.

@jim mckay Jim - thank goodness, Jesus, or whatever god is out there for you. Why Xojo has never created a true grid control is beyond me. Your controls have so many features that youā€™d offer a compelling alternative to whatever Xojo decides to create, if they even get there. The ListBox control is powerful in many ways, yet maddeningly inflexible in others. Would be nice to have the ability to drag and drop objects right into Xojoā€™s ListBox cells and have DataSources for all of them. FoxPro had that power 20 years ago.

We all hope you continue to develop and refine your offerings because weā€™re all screwed in the Xojo community if you decide to do something else with your life.

@Aaron Schacht : I haven"t tried dropping into specific cells but I think itā€™s something that can be done with a listbox
having a datasource for each row (for cell I donā€™t think itā€™s usefull ?) is definitely something I use every day, with a standard listbox (and some additional methods in a subclass and into a containercontrol)

[quote=424788:@Jean-Yves Pochez]@Aaron Schacht : I haven"t tried dropping into specific cells but I think itā€™s something that can be done with a listbox
having a datasource for each row (for cell I donā€™t think itā€™s usefull ?) is definitely something I use every day, with a standard listbox (and some additional methods in a subclass and into a containercontrol)[/quote]

do you mean containercontrol inside the listbox??? how did you do that??? so far , i manage to use listbox to make thumbnail (image with text at the bottom of each image) , image list (image in first column and some text on the second column) and images (just image)

no Richard, I have a containercontrol with a listbox subclass inside, and also 2 scrollbars and an information pane.

so the two scrollbar is not part of the listbox then which mean you disable the vertical scrollbar on the listbox. i assume the information pane is the 275/275 records.

my question is how did you make sure the external scrollbar sync with the listbox?

valuechanged event of each scrollbar sends the new value to the listbox
example with 8500 records on the listbox. real speed. only the visible rows are loaded from the chinook database.
sqlite mode. almost same speed with a postgresql database.

[quote=424777:@Aaron Schacht] Would be nice to have the ability to drag and drop objects right into Xojoā€™s ListBox cells and have DataSources for all of them.
[/quote]

You could certainly do all that with the Xojo listboxā€¦ Drag and drop into cells is not difficult at all. I have done it a number of times. DataSource Per cell would be more work but is certainly doableā€¦ and Iā€™m pretty sure has been done at least on the row level (Kemā€™s Data-On-Demand listbox IIRC)

The really intractable stuff in the Xojo listbox are the headers, true variable height rows (I can merger rows - as well as cells- to give heights as a multiple of the base row height but not arbitrary heights) and true control embeddingā€¦ You can make it do most other things with some work.

• karen

Plus last I tried, it also had a 64 column limit. Another thing you canā€™t really work around in a subclass. But since moving to the piDog DataView, Iā€™ve not kept up on improvements to the native ListBox so that limit may not apply anymore.

[quote=424843:@Jean-Yves Pochez]valuechanged event of each scrollbar sends the new value to the listbox
example with 8500 records on the listbox. real speed. only the visible rows are loaded from the chinook database.
sqlite mode. almost same speed with a postgresql database.
[/quote]

when is the time to use the scrollbar control next to a listbox instead of the listbox default one??

the limit is now 256 columns