Error starting Xojo 2022 release 3.1 in Ventura 13.3.1

My Mac was updated to Ventura 13.3.1 (a) and now Xojo crashes with an error:

“An exception of class OutOfBoundsException was not handled. The application must shut down.”

Since my license expired last year, I can’t update to an earlier version. Obviously I can’t undo the Mac OSX update so I’m between a rock and a hard place and can’t do maintenance on the few projects that are still running with customers…

Please use the search functionality of the forum. Basically, you are f…ed and you have to get rid of the supplemental version of macOS.

1 Like

I can’t seem to find any other reports for this error on the forum?

Thanks! Removing the supplemental version wasn’t that hard to do and… it HELPED! :sweat_smile:

To do this:

1. Open your macOS System Settings, go to General, and select “About”
  2. Scroll down to the macOS version # then click on the info circle and click Remove & Restart. (Requires Admin Password)
2 Likes

That was in one of the reports Beatrix was talking about.

Other advice (also in the other reports):
read this forum (at least the titles) and some US macOS/Apple related news (macrumors.com for example).

You will get the information earlier and be ready to give an answer to your customers…

13.4 should be out this week and that would fix this too.

I do not think so (and I can be wrong) because:

Again the same problem with 13.4.1c safety update that my Mac decided to run without asking :roll_eyes:

Lucky the same solution solved the problem :slightly_smiling_face:

I was under the impression that building apps with Xojo 2021r2.1 the problem would disappear. Unfortunatelly it does not (unless users disinstall Last Security Update).

But running the application in the IDE is OK.

Yep. Little joy for our users.

1 Like

Xojo 2023r1.1 fix this 99% (affects few foreign languages). Xojo promises 100% in 2023r2.

As soon as 13.5 gets released (current beta) it will be “auto-fixed” too.

It’s good to hear that this thing is fixed in new versions of Xojo, but I’m still working with 2021R3.1 because that’s when my license expired :wink: I’m also working with 2019R2.1 a lot since that’s the last version that runs on older OSX (a lot of my users still use older hardware).

If you avoid using system.version within your code you stand a better chance of it working, but you may not get away with it.

Well, that’s how things works. New problems are fixed in new editions. New versions of our software sometimes demands new hardware and newer OS versions too.

I do support Windows 7+. And I’m preparing to end the support of it, and start the Windows 10+ cut demanding my users to upgrade their systems too. As for macOS, I only support 10.14+ (the same as Xojo, the “pure” 64 bit generation).

I understand. I wasn’t complaining, just shining a light on my situation. :wink: I’m not commercially developing apps so I’m quite satisfied with using an older version of Xojo. I use Xojo especially to create nice things for myself or friends and those things often run on old Apple hardware I have lying around (I have every generation iMac and like to keep these machines running)

I understand too. My usual response for that would be “Buy a Lite ‘MacOS only’ license, it’s $99” but after the 50% raise they made ($149) last year, I don’t have the courage to say something like that again. Having an entry level, capable, 2 digit$ product, was a good sales driver for (investing on the future) spreading the language. Now they restricted the audience even more reaching the (sometimes psychological) 3 digits price barrier. Not good in the long run competing with very capable free options that may appear.

1 Like

I don’t know about that. I’m seeing an lot of new users on the forum this year that have never been here before.

And I’m seeing old users that I never noticed before, now complaining, but old users.

I think they should stop the Save Source discrimination. All editions should be able to save source as text and people flood GitHub as much as possible.

They should create a $99 “Starter Version” with all the Lite version has today + Rasp Pi (Linux Arm 32). The Starter is limited, can’t accept plugins, just the Lite one and up can. The SQLite plugin is the only it loads.

The current Lite ($149) will add Linux Arm 32 AND 64 (All Rasp Pi classes) and accept plugins.

Linux ARM 32/64 should be active on ALL Lite and up versions. Starter would enable the 32 bit only.

The commercial interests are in the rest: Windows, Mac, Linux Intel 64 (+services +CLI apps), Web, iOS and Android. You should not create barriers for hobbyists, students and alike. Those may return one day to upgrade.

Sadly this is more than one year late.

2 Likes