Error code 500 with my web application; another one works fine

Hello,

I have a web application which I want to upload on my server. It’s a shared hosting and I know web applications work there (my main page is actually one web app).
However, the new one doesn’t work. I receive a 500 error code (it works fine while debugging). I have a valid identifier for it and have checked permissions (I even have tried setting them all to 777 to be sure it’s not the problem).
Since it’s a shared server, I don’t have access to all log files.
I’m still using an old licence for my web app (Real Studio 2011r4.3). However, this doesn’t apply since it works for my main app, since perhaps already one year.
I’ve found one difference between both apps: in the working one, I have a .htaccess file, containing this (I remember when I wrote it, but forgot I did it):
Options +ExecCGI
order allow,deny
deny from all
<Files *.cgi>
allow from all

I’ve tried to apply it to the new app’s enclosing folder, but it doesn’t help.
My web hoster is Site5.
What else may I do?

[quote=192917:@Arnaud Nicolet]Hello,

I have a web application which I want to upload on my server. It’s a shared hosting and I know web applications work there (my main page is actually one web app).
However, the new one doesn’t work. I receive a 500 error code (it works fine while debugging). I have a valid identifier for it and have checked permissions (I even have tried setting them all to 777 to be sure it’s not the problem).
Since it’s a shared server, I don’t have access to all log files.
I’m still using an old licence for my web app (Real Studio 2011r4.3). However, this doesn’t apply since it works for my main app, since perhaps already one year.
I’ve found one difference between both apps: in the working one, I have a .htaccess file, containing this (I remember when I wrote it, but forgot I did it):
Options +ExecCGI
order allow,deny
deny from all
<Files *.cgi>
allow from all

I’ve tried to apply it to the new app’s enclosing folder, but it doesn’t help.
My web hoster is Site5.
What else may I do?[/quote]

You may want to make sure the application identifier is not the same for both apps.

Yes, you’re right. I already made sure of that. Thanks.

Make sure they run on different ports too.

Thanks. They have random ports, so I guess it’s not a problem too often.

Make sure it’s compiled for the right platform. It’s not uncommon for people to build for Mac and then upload to Linux because the files look identical.

Sometimes when this happens the app is starting but something in the App.Open event is failing and it crashes. I’d check your App.Open first and make sure you aren’t making any incorrect assumptions.

My apologises for answering so lately. I thought there were some kind of notifications on new replies, but it looks like I was wrong; it’s only today, having the same problem again, that I came across my own post, seeing the unanswered replies.

So, I’m sure I build for Linux each time and the App.Open event is empty.
In the past, I eventually could make it working by attempting to re-upload several times and changing the identifier frequently, but… what a complicated and unreliable deployment experience. The help guy also had to change permissions to the enclosing folder (something rarely mentioned, btw).

Now, I’m trying to run my web app but am experiencing all the errors you may think of (500, 300, unable to launch on port…). Oh well…