Emoji in Menu(s) / MenuItem(s) - Solution found

Add an emoji before #App.kEditClear (Xojo 2016r4.1 and prior) broke the “menu system”.

If I put an emoji in the Appearance.Text field before a standard entry: OK.
If I put an emoji in the Appearance.Text field before an entry that starts with a #: the entry appears as: #App.kEditClear at IDE Run Time.

I was testing emoji.

Worst: trying to put an emoji in this forum is rejected (thus no emoji above)…

Too new technology ?

Edit: but using ‘;’ and ‘)’ (as in ;)) works fine here !
So, for testings take this one (above)…

[quote=319955:@Emile Schwarz]Add an emoji before #App.kEditClear (Xojo 2016r4.1 and prior) broke the “menu system”.

If I put an emoji in the Appearance.Text field before a standard entry: OK.
If I put an emoji in the Appearance.Text field before an entry that starts with a #: the entry appears as: #App.kEditClear at IDE Run Time.

I was testing emoji.[/quote]
Using a constant requires that the # be the left-most character in the field and the rest must match the constant you want to use. Adding any other characters will break that.

Emile sometimes has crazy ideas :slight_smile:

when i paste emoji from emojione here I get

Thanks Greg, Axel.

sometimes ? no, often ! :wink:

That is what I saw.
Now, how can I put an emoji ?

My answer: in the constant declaration. In my example, I go to App, #App.kEditClear constant declaration, add a Cocoa entry and type [emojy] Delete, run and saw my trash icon :wink:

I’m not on the mac now, maybe you can also use CTRL + CMD + SPACE to insert Special Characters ?

I get it from there.

Then, I wrote an AppleScript that create a list in rtf, copy / paste it in a TextEdit document un rtf code display / save / open in display text (not rtf code) and be able to watch all these nice pieces of artwork (characters).

After a real good nap®, I recall (I think) a conversation about the use of emoji in PopupMenu (Sam ?) in this forum.

So, this is not really my crazy idea, but a simple extension of a previous idea.

I found this somewhere in the internet and I do not know if I have to laugh or cry:

Q: How to use emoji on Windows XP ?
A: To use Emoji on Windows XP you will need to upgrade to Windows 7 or Windows 8. XP predates Emoji.

And also Windows 10 ;).

When I see the word predates, I think Predator… but this may be because English is not my mother’s tongue.

Back to plan a: use RowHeight Countries flag images… to show the user a graphic representation of the countries…

Twoz I sire.