El Capitan lost the BlueTooth keyboard !

This morning I upgraded to El Capitan 10.11.3 beta. Everything went fine, but after reboot, the iMac never found the BlueTooth keyboard it had been using since birth.

I had to resort for a while to a USB PC keyboard, until I found the solution here :
http://davemeehan.com/technology/how-to-reset-an-apple-wireless-bluetooth-keyboard-mouse-or-trackpad

Now I am again using y faithful Apple BlueTooth keyboard to type this.

I am posting this in case another poor soul experiences the same predicament.

It’s gotten to that point where I’m telling family and friends don’t update ever, if your Apple product works now, don’t update as we simply don’t know if it will work when updated.

I think Apple fired their QA team and just leave it to us developers to figure out what’s broken, when our apps fail, crash and burn.

Michel is talking about a beta OS and references a workaround to help people. I understand you’ve had frustrations with recent OS X releases but a beta is what it is :slight_smile:

FWIW, I’ve found El Cap a much nicer release than the rather jarring release of Yosemite…

Sorry for thread hijacking and ranting.

We already expect a rant against OS X from you when someone writes about an OS X only related issue here :wink:

Just joking :smiley:

@Sam: I can say this about Xojo and sometimes about Valentina. But not about Apple. Once upon a time software and hardware were great. Now the software isn’t a good as it once was. But it’s nowhere as bad as you say.

Sure, it is a beta, and as such I am supposed to be competent enough to deal with whatever is thrown at me. But the disappearing and unpairable random BlueTooth keyboard has apparently been around for quite a while. While researching to find the link I posted, I found discussions on the Apple forums as far back as 2010 with symptoms identical to mine.

That looks like a regular, and the most concerning is that as far as I can tell, there is no solution posted by Apple itself. Unless Genius bar people keep the manipulation to themselves. So I imagine Joe Doe getting stuck on a week-end, having to get an appointment at the Apple Store, driving there on the next wednesday or so and have to stand in line to see the techno wiz apply the magic.

Fortunately I knew a PC keyboard would work, and I happened to have one aside, but that is not supposed to be your average user…

That reminds me of the disappearing Wi-Fi a few years back…

well see it with humour:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEz70ClCetM

[quote=239990:@Sascha S]We already expect a rant against OS X from you when someone writes about an OS X only related issue here :wink:

Just joking :D[/quote]
I didn’t used to be so bitter; Yosemite changed everything for me. Between El Cap and iOS 9, I’m beginning to wonder…

Yosemite was not as good as many other releases. I agree. But i personally have FAR MORE work with Windows Machines compared to OS X Machines. :slight_smile:

After working on Windows only since 1990 and switching in 2005 to OS X, i don’t want to go back to Windows as long as i have a choice. :wink:

That’s because you haven’t experienced what I have, luckily for you Apple’s recent direction hasn’t taken a toll.

Never had reliability with Bluetooth, it would always fail at some point for everything (it even fails on the Somy PS4), so I think BT is inheritantly flawed, however I do recall a time when I could no longer connect my ‘magic’ trackpad over Bluetooth, it took a PRRam and NVRam reset to get it going again in a MacBook Pro.

The Bluetooth on my MBA, required a new logic board.

I had a Bluetooth keyboard, but a software update broke the Windows key working on OSX (the keyboard was a ultra flat and thin keyboard). Thankfully Apple then made their keyboards flat and I buy a new wired one every 2~3 years (as they get worn out).

There is several OS X releases I was waiting about .2 or .3 versions until I update to these. For El Capitan, I was waiting until a week or so after .2 was out.

Talking about El Capitan: it is slow when the boot is done from an external hard disk (traditional) vs the internal SSD…

Back to OP’s subject (near): I was not able to use a bluetooth mouse with my Windows 8.1 3in1 Laptop…

Truth is, most of us never go anywhere near the kind of declare wizardry Sam does.

His apps are so cutting edge, they become vulnerable to the never ending changes Apples makes with every version of the system. And since 2013, Apple has deprecated so many things without fully making sure everything could be replaced, I can just imagine how difficult it is to deal with that. Especially when Apple does not really care to explain what is going on inside.

Fww: This is most certainly not a new issue. I have this issue at least ones a month.
My working fix is to remove the batteries of the keyboard, reinsert them and then it magically works within seconds.
Switching it on/off is not enough.

[quote=240066:@Christoph De Vocht]Fww: This is most certainly not a new issue. I have this issue at least ones a month.
My working fix is to remove the batteries of the keyboard, reinsert them and then it magically works within seconds.
Switching it on/off is not enough.[/quote]

That was not enough at all for the issue I encountered.

The iMac simply would not see the keyboard at all. The iPad would, the Android tablet would, the PC Windows laptop too, but not poor newly ElCapitanBeta-ed iMac.

Lucky me I found the post I linked to.