Einhuger and MBS Tree View Plugins

Which is the easier tree view plugin to get started with: Einhuger or MBS? By get started, I mean displaying a tree view in a window and populating it with data from a posgreSQL hierarchical database, and doing CRUD on a database table? I can’t find a step-by-step tutorial on either plugin to accomplish this critical task for a beginner.

The tree view from MBS is macOS only. But neither plugin will really help you to show data from a hierarchical database. The MBS plugin has an example for showing data for a normal table.

1 Like

While both solutions generally work fantastically, I find Einhugur’s plugins to be more beginner-friendly. And a few years ago I worked with the Einhugur TreeView and very quickly achieved wonderfully working results. I didn’t encounter any problems of any kind.

In the end, both plugins are fundamentally recommended without reservation.

1 Like

When given the option, I prefer Einhugur plugins because they use Enumerations instead of magic number constants.

Perhaps share the reason you’ve decided you need a plugin, because you can show hierarchical data with the framework Listbox. Following the features you need will make development more smooth than which plugin offers more code to copy and paste.

2 Likes

If you need a tree view and you need more than the list box offers, please check the one from Björn.

Ours in MBS with the outline view is macOS only and great if you like to use all the native bits and pieces.

1 Like

Hello,

<< If you need a tree view and you need more than the list box offers, please check the one from Björn.>>

I’m very much interested in checking out Björn’s tree view implementation. May I know the link? Thank you.

https://www.einhugur.com

and details:
https://www.einhugur.com/Html/TreeView/index.html

3 Likes

Hmm - I can’t find any example projects in current Xojo Versions…
Hasn’t there been some example project included somewhen…?

Anyway - here is what the official Documentation: DesktopListbox → Displaying hierarchical rows explains.

And if you’d like to see and play with an example project, then have a look at this one:
GitHub: jo-tools/treeview