EddiesElectronics Web sample broken ?

@Norman Palardy

It freezes while building, not even have a chance to start the application. When it tries to open the port I have a dialog asking if it’s Ok to open the port.

@Alberto DePoo

The optimization Level is set too Default. The CopyFilesStepWin is set to

C:/Program Files/Xojo/Xojo 2019r3/Example Projects/Sample Applications/EddiesElectronics/Database/EddiesElectronics.sqlite C:/Program Files/Xojo/Xojo 2019r3/Example Projects/Sample Applications/EddiesElectronics/Database/Logs.sqlite

Gilles, I am able to build Eddies Electronics on my Windows 10 computer using 2019 R3, just as Paul is. Default optimization, 64-bit target. It takes just a few seconds. Clearly, it should not take upwards of 30 minutes.

• The suggestion that the firewall or AV utility blocks the process is valid: Xojo uses helper apps during the build process (you will see Houdini executables in the task manager while building). If Xojo cannot spawn these applications, the build process will fail. Here, using Windows Defender and Malwarebytes, the process works just fine. I have had issues with various third party AV programs.
  • Make sure that the folder where you copy the program files does not contain accented characters (This was also a very valid comment that Alberto made.)

There seems to be an issue that is specific to your computer, not a general issue with Xojo.

• if you are using a third party AV utility, try disabling it before attempting a build. If it works, you solved the mystery.
  • Next, check the Windows application logs to see if any messages show there.
  • Next, you may want to start dbgview (a sysinternals utility available from Microsoft) and then open the project and try to build it. dbgView should capture a lot of status and/or error messages that will help troubleshoot the issue.

I was able to test with a Windows 10 machine.

• downloaded Xojo 2019 R 3
  • opened EddiesElectronics Web app
  • saved to D:/
  • run
    it works without issues.

Even tried within a directory with a special character, the app runs but without icons or Eddies Logo in about.

If the directory has no special character, then the icons and logo work ok.

I am so sorry, my bad my very bad :-(.

My development PC is a portable whose Windows acts strangely. I forgot something: last year I developed a Web App and had a hard time because the project was stored on the D: drive. For years, I always had Windows on the C: drive and data on the D: drive. But on this particular PC, developing with Xojo with projects on the D: drive produces weird results. Last year I had to have the project on the C: drive to work. And I forgot . . .

This morning I open the Eddie’s Electronics Web app from the samples, saved it on the C: drive and it compiled fine.

Looks like Windows is corrupted in some ways I can’t explain. It would need a complete reinstallation of Windows, but that takes time considering the amount of applications that would need to be reinstalled. And on top of that, I would like to buy a new portable, but can’t for the moment.

Again I am sorry for having you all work for nothing.

Thanks