Dragging controls on a horizontal or vertical line

Is there a way to drag a control on a layout in such a way that it stays on a vertical or horizontal line while dragging? With Filemaker, I’ve been used to doing this by holding down the Shift key while dragging.

If one doesn’t turn up, feature request it, it sounds like a nice idea.
If all else fails, you can manually set the position from the inspector. Just make note of the coordinate you want to remain the same.

Ok. I’ll feature request it.

Feedback 43641.

On OSX, the Option key does that (more or less).
If you hold the option key while dragging, you get those blue lines and the control ‘sticks’ within those lines.
If you release the mouse key before you release the Option key, you copied the control.
If you release the Option key before the mouse key, you didn’t copy a new control but just moved it.

To be very precise, you can also use the arrow keys.

[quote=263157:@Marco Hof]On OSX, the Option key does that (more or less).
If you hold the option key while dragging, you get those blue lines and the control ‘sticks’ within those lines.[/quote]
I am not seeing this behavior here.

I see what you’re getting at, Marco. That’s better than nothing. As long as your mouse hand is steady, it works fine. With Filemaker, if the Shift key is held down while dragging, you cannot go off the vertical or horizontal grid even if you tried.

I know. It’s far from perfect and not the same. Holding some key to lock horizontal/vertical would be a lot better.
If I need to move a bunch of (non-aligned) controls to the right, I often select them all and hold the right arrow key while drinking my coffee. It takes forever but it’s precise. :slight_smile:
(The ruler/measurement icon also helps a lot. )

I’m doing this on a Yosemite box. It works for me.

If you want to drink less coffee, hold the Shift key down while holding or clicking on the right arrow key. Then it will jump at 8 pixel increments.