Does Xojo work fully on Raspberry PI?

It will not run on Raspberry api because the would have to be written a 64 bit Arm Linux Version for it. Anyhow because of the remote debugging I had no problems with it. I have around 20 Webapps for opt devices running on pi

I’m not a fan of using a pi to watch some low level signals.
I always do this with an arduino/esp8266/esp32.
then communicate with the Pi using tcp or serial or i2c.
the Pi is there for high-level tasks (user interface with complex displays for example)
there is the place where xojo is perfect for the job.
the arduino is much more versatile when it comes to watch signals and interrupts.

2 Likes

Thanks all for your input. However, the information is contradictory and confusing. I really want to hear from people who have themselves actually successfully used the Xojo to develop GUI applications on the Pi IDE. Quoting others or what may have been read – or divined or concluded logically even worked out – is not really enough. It is only first hand experience that would remove any confusion.

The Xojo IDE does not run on the Pi!

Only the apps you build.

1 Like

Hi, next week I get my 1st py. Its a cool thing for running apps and more. But it still needs a dev system (IMHO).

BR Rainer

I have done for more then 20 apps and it works without problems, you can use it for Webapps as stsndalone Webserver (as I do for medical devices) for desktop apps and for non ii apps as well. We have here for example 12 non ii apps as socket Srrvers on pi, 22 Webapps to be exact and 9 desktop apps for devices with own monitor. It works.

1 Like

What exactly? So that someone can clarify it.

You can only build for Raspberry Pi (e.g. more like Linux ARM-32, armV7 instrution set).
There is no way currenty to install the Xojo IDE itself on the rasberry pi.

A side node, we have developed alot of pi applications, desktop, console, web. All of those work as we expect it to do.

1 Like

Hi Alan,

I love my Raspberry Pi systems – they are a wonderful system for teaching students important computer science concepts, such as how to install an operating system, work with a terminal, do computer programming (Xojo, python, java, etc.), set up a server, etc. However, in regards to your question, I have noticed that there are some occasional issues here…and…there that one might encounter.

What works for the Desktop edition (Mac, Windows and Linux) usually does work quite well on the Pi, but there have been some occasional, strange exceptions to the rule. For example, I created an app that works well with the Desktop editions, but when I compiled it for the Raspberry Pi, I found that one of the controls (a popup menu) did something quite unexpected. The popup menu needed to show at least 60+ options (from a database) for the user to select from. Normally, the popup menu will shows about 10 items with the ability to scroll through the list. However, instead of getting this normal behavior, it simply showed about 40 items on the screen and the rest of them were drawn off the screen, making them unreachable. Yeah, not good. I had to redesign the software for the Raspberry Pi version because of this bug.

Don’t get me wrong, I love Xojo and think its one of the best platforms for creating software for the Raspberry Pi. However, one can run into some unexpected issues with it too, but that principle really goes for all development languages, in a way. :slight_smile:

Give it a try! I think you’ll like it.

P.S. - In case you’re thinking of installing Xojo (the IDE builder) on a Raspberry Pi – that won’t work, as most Pi systems have very limited memory (usually around one 1GB … at most. Some of the newer ones now offer up to 8GB (which is exciting), but most of today’s marketplace is still using the very limited 1GB models.) The Xojo IDE (which can run on a PC, such as Mac, Windows or Linux) allows you to build apps that can run on the Raspberry Pi, so give that a try!

Only one person has answered the actual question: Will the Xojo IDE work on the Pi?

Thank you Byron. That answers it. And thanks to all others for inputs.

The Xojo IDE does not run on raspberry pi.

I don’t need it, but of curiosity Greg, why not? Xojo can compile for it, and I was under the impression that Xojo is written in Xojo. Are there supporting libraries that won’t work?

Well for one, the compiler doesn’t run on ARM yet and there are several other dependencies that we have that would have to be updated.

2 Likes

You’d better get the Compiler working soon for the new Apple Silicon Macs.

The compiler compiles ARM now. Thats how we build raspberry pi and iOS apps, but yes it’s something we need to do to release the IDE natively on Apple Silicon. As you already know, Xojo 2019r3.2 and 2020r1 already work on Big Sur.

Now I can’t edit my message. It was meant to make sure the Xojo Compile can run on an ARM platform.
May be useful for running IDE on Apple Silicon or maybe someday on Linux 64-bit ARM.

I understood your message, but it sounded like you were saying that the IDE wouldn’t work on Apple Silicon.

Be assured that getting the rest of the dependencies converted is in the works. It just takes some time.

1 Like

We use the RPI for controlling some internally developed test equipment and have found Xojo performs exceptionally well and is a breeze to develop on with minimal design time.
If you are going to use a Gui then you may experience some issues with the controls when ported to the RPI.
Read this topic as some some smart guys have made some huge improvements for Gui controls

Jon

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.