Documentation

I’m having a problem with Xojo Documentation. I don’t find it as helpful as it once was. I am accessing this:

Docs

Specifically, I want to learn about build automation; how to copy some files to the build folder after the build. I click on the IDE Overview and it shows all the menus in the IDE, but the Build Step > Copy Files has no link to anything.

I search for “Copy Files”, “Build Step”. I get lots of results but mostly related to release notes, nothing on how-to-use. There is a link back to the IDE Overview, but there is nothing there I can see.

I’ve managed to add the files to a create a new Build Step > Copy Files in the IDE and I added the files I wanted in the IDE. The app builds successfully, but my files are not copied over. I suspect I am not doing something right, but finding the documentation has been… difficult.

Where is the documentation to learn how to use this feature?

I miss the old PDFs.

http://documentation.xojo.com/topics/build_automation/introduction.html

Thanks! Perfect, where did I go wrong in trying to find that? How do I “Get” there?

Might be good for them to have that page linked to the first page I found.

needs docs on how to use the docs :stuck_out_tongue:

yeah those items in the page you found could have links to the relevant / related items

Paul literally just inserted a few links
If you revisit that page you’ll see they are links now

I’ve added links to this in the IDE Overview page.

I think just searching for “build automation” would have brought up the page you wanted.

In general surrounding search terms with quotes might be more accurate.

Also check out the category links at the bottom of pages to see content for broader topics.

https://documentation.xojo.com/Category:User_Guide

@Paul Lefebvre there are a couple of references with an extra ] on that page:

[quote]Xojo on the Web]
Xojo Support Forum][/quote]

The URL is case sensitive, so, you may have the correct world but the wrong case and get rejected. Once at docs, type the instruction (etc.) you want in the search text box.

Try ListBox and Listbox (and listbox) in the url and cry… baby cry…

There are also typo (very few), but since the number of typos I have, I’d better stop here about typos… :wink: (or :()

Thank you all.

[quote=442114:@Paul Lefebvre]I’ve added links to this in the IDE Overview page.

I think just searching for “build automation” would have brought up the page you wanted.

In general surrounding search terms with quotes might be more accurate.

Also check out the category links at the bottom of pages to see content for broader topics.

https://documentation.xojo.com/Category:User_Guide[/quote]

While you’re about it, how about adding an example on how to set boolean properties? Such as PropertyValue (“App.SupportsDarkMode”) = “True”

That is already described here:

https://documentation.xojo.com/topics/build_automation/ide_scripting/introduction.html_Project_Commands

Not very completely, I don’t see a single example of how you assign a boolean to a property.

The single example is this:

Dim version As String
version = PropertyValue(“App.MajorVersion”) + “.” + _
PropertyValue(“App.MinorVersion”) + “.” + _
PropertyValue(“App.BugVersion”) + " (" + _
PropertyValue(“App.NonReleaseVersion”) + “)”

PropertyValue(“App.ShortVersion”) = version

Oddly enough, to assign a boolean, you have to put quotes around the value: “True” or “False”. Since App.SupportsDarkMode is a boolean, I expected it to take PriopertyValue(“App.ShortVersion”) = True 'or False.

What I didn’t see anywhere was that all property values are evidently strings.

The PropertyValue method is defined to use a String.

And there’s this line in the Notes:

I’ll add another Boolean example, though.

Ah, now I see it. Lost in a sea of similar-looking “Notes” headers. Maybe each of the commands could be a larger or stronger text style, with the “Notes” that apply to each command a clear sub-heading of it.

Yeah, I’m not loving how those IDE scripting pages are laid out either. Hopefully we can come up with something that is a bit clearer. It might be worth splitting each command to its own page.