Documentation gripe

We’re still on Xojo 2017r3, and will be for a little while before moving to 2019. With all the changes in the new version, I’m finding the online documentation less and less useful because it now only covers the latest version. Is there some way to include in the docs some reference to old stuff? Or maybe links to the previous docs?

For example, in the new documentation for a Progress Bar, the maximum value property is set with Progressbar.MaximumValue, but in older versions it’s just “Maximum” – while the page for ProgressBar (ProgressBar (deprecated) — Xojo documentation) makes a reference to MaximumValue, the MaximumValue page it links to (ProgressBar (deprecated) — Xojo documentation) makes reference to both “Maximum” and “MaximumValue” with no distinction about which version of Xojo each applies to – the issue here is that if I’m in the IDE and want to look up what a property does, I can’t find that property from the ProgressBar page. I realize it’s an obvious leap from maximum to maximumvalue, but I’ve wasted a bunch of time over the past few days trying to find things in my version that don’t exist in the docs because it’s been eliminated. It would really be useful to have access to the docs for previous versions of Xojo for those of us not on the bleeding edge.

I totally get the push users to the new API, and we’ll get there. But in the mean time, it’s hard to find information on the tools we’re using when the page makes no reference or talks about stuff that’s not in our version.

The most useful thing would have been to have the old, deprecated, methods etc still listed in the doc, but marked somehow as deprecated. That would ease migration. The pages are still there, after all.

What I would suggest is setting the IDE to use the local reference for your IDE version and making a bookmark in your browser for the new docs…

That way you can keep using API 1.0… Of course that means you need to keep two version of the IDE open if you want API 1.0 docs while using 2019R2+

• Karen

[quote=457842:@Karen Atkocius]What I would suggest is setting the IDE to use the local reference for your IDE version and making a bookmark in your browser for the new docs…

[/quote]

sure - but the best way to find stuff in the online docs is with google, not browsing the documentation (at least for me)

you can use Dash and keep track of old xojo documentation, use the one you want
also you can search on them like with google.

I second Dash, my old version of 2.2.6 has available 2017r3 up to 2019r1.1 in separate docsets, I find it the only way to make sense of the documentation.
I do not find the official documentation path particularly friendly or obvious in use.

Does these tips help (from the Xojo Blog)? https://blog.xojo.com/2019/10/09/use-doc-categories-to-find-information-fast/

No it doesn’t.
Perry is asking for the online 2017r3 documentation.
The links in the Xojo Blog are all about 2019r2.

The main problem is that it is not possible to select for what Xojo version you wish to see the documentation.
You always get the documentation of the latest version.
Usually that’s not a major problem, but with 2019r2 it very much is.

Yup, I see…

In that case, maybe switching the “Use built-in documentation” preferences in the IDE can do the thing.

Javier

[quote=457978:@Javier Menéndez]In that case, maybe switching the “Use built-in documentation” preferences in the IDE can do the thing.

[/quote]
yes, but it’s trickier to search in the content of the documentation. you can only search for language keywords.

[quote=457975:@Paul Sondervan]Perry is asking for the online 2017r3 documentation.
The links in the Xojo Blog are all about 2019r2.[/quote]
This is not new.

The internet documentation is always for the current version which 2017r3 is not since… 2 years ago.

Perry have to set the documentation to LOCAL.

What I sometimes do is to copy the whole page, Paste it in a WP and made my searches there. Not fast, yes. This is a price to pay for not been current.

the one I rewrote uses a full text search

is it implemented and verified ? :wink:
you can’t search for some help page content, or I don’t know how to.

in 2019r2 ?
I have no idea … I dont work there any more so I have no idea if the tool I wrote that built the db has been altered or not and whether it does / doesnt still create the full text search
the tables for it sure still seem to be there though