DLL's, ActiveX And Such :-)

We are looking at a 3rd party product that is distributed as ActiveX, and as a DLL…
I was wondering that given XoJo’s architecture, Is there reason to prefer one implementation over the other?
Would a DLL be more or less reliable, or is ActiveX the way to go? Are there any pro’s or cons?
Also, many of these products give example code in C++ (for the DLL’s) and ActiveX for visual basic…
Are there rules of thumb or best practices for converting these types of examples to XoJo?
Are there any good examples, or documentation info out there for implementing DLL or ActiveX products into XoJo?
Many Thanks!

[quote=178335:@Rick Williams]We are looking at a 3rd party product that is distributed as ActiveX, and as a DLL…
I was wondering that given XoJo’s architecture, Is there reason to prefer one implementation over the other?
Would a DLL be more or less reliable, or is ActiveX the way to go? Are there any pro’s or cons?
Also, many of these products give example code in C++ (for the DLL’s) and ActiveX for visual basic…
Are there rules of thumb or best practices for converting these types of examples to XoJo?
Are there any good examples, or documentation info out there for implementing DLL or ActiveX products into XoJo?
Many Thanks![/quote]

http://www.xojo.com/blog/en/2014/01/accessing-net-code-from-xojo.php

I have applied that to make DLLs for my applications. See this thread where I exchanged tips and tricks with other users :
https://forum.xojo.com/15785-accessing-net-code-from-xojo-c-custom-dll

Thank you Michael… I will check it out

If they have a demo version, ActiveX controls do work quite well. For the most part you add them to your project and start coding, but I’d want to try it out before spending any money on the control.

Greg… I will check that out … Also, do you find that there are any issues deploying apps when using ActiveX? I know some “installers” dont do a great job of registering them, I have been looking into that as well … For the most part, I want to keep everything XoJo and plugins designed for XoJo, but I am really hoping to implement this particular product and have no experience adding activeX to XoJo apps, but am experimenting! Many thanks for your reply!