Display / Hide Dock Icon?

Hi,
If I had an NSStatusItem type app, with no dock icon - is it possible to temporarily display the app icon in the dock when a certain window opens, and then have it redisappear after the window has closed, - OR, must the app be either one or the other???

Thanks.

I don’t know what your plans are, but if you need the dock icon for something, you might consider not hiding it in the first place. Having it appear/disappear like that is really strange functionality, and you could probably work out a better UX.

I would recommend to use two apps.
One for status item and other for helper app showing settings window.

[quote=124499:@Richard Summers]Hi,
If I had an NSStatusItem type app, with no dock icon - is it possible to temporarily display the app icon in the dock when a certain window opens, and then have it redisappear after the window has closed, - OR, must the app be either one or the other???

Thanks.[/quote]

Jim McKay posted a method to have the icon reappear in https://forum.xojo.com/11024-how-to-start-app-with-no-window-and-without-icon-in-dock
I use it in my latest app…

In MBS Plugins in ProcessMBS class there is also method TransformToForegroundApplication which can turn a background app in a front app.
But there is no way without relaunch.

[quote=124571:@Christian Schmitz]In MBS Plugins in ProcessMBS class there is also method TransformToForegroundApplication which can turn a background app in a front app.
But there is no way without relaunch.[/quote]

Jim’s method works flawlessly back and forth without relaunch. You may want to have a look to update your plugin.

ah, sorry. Missed that detail.