Developing a Tag-based file manager

I want to develop a tag-based file manager.
One that is able to assign tags to files, and also able to bring tag-based search results to the user.
I’ve checked every tag based file management program under the blue sky, and none fulfilled my expectations of an effective tag-based file navigation experience.
I want to build my own app and end the folders’ era (joking, but at least for myself).

Is it possible in Xojo to read/write finder tags (AKA openmeta tags, am I right??)

[quote=114220:@Radium Radiovich]I want to develop a tag-based file manager.
One that is able to assign tags to files, and also able to bring tag-based search results to the user.
I’ve checked every tag based file management program under the blue sky, and none fulfilled my expectations of an effective tag-based file navigation experience.
I want to build my own app and end the folders’ era (joking, but at least for myself).

Is it possible in Xojo to read/write finder tags (AKA openmeta tags, am I right??)[/quote]
If you have seen it been done in other programs even if it was not executed very well, the chances are it is possible to do in Xojo.

Just in case, your post gets ignored I want to tell you that from what I can see is just about anything you see done in other apps for that operating system you could do in Xojo but don’t expect it all to be built-in.

If you cannot find anything in the docs and nobody replies to your question go and do some research in the documentation and then go and research declares.

They are really powerful!

I am not going to lie I have just about no experience with them but I have an idea what they do and how powerful it can be.

I don’t know what you are trying to achieve but I am just saying.

[quote=114220:@Radium Radiovich]develop a tag-based file manager.

Is it possible in Xojo to read/write finder tags (AKA openmeta tags, am I right??)[/quote]

Xojo does not offer direct ways of accessing and manipulating tags. You will need to create your own interface to NSWorkspace through Declares.
See https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/Cocoa/Reference/ApplicationKit/Classes/NSWorkspace_Class/Reference/Reference.html

Then the sky is the limit :wink:

If you don’t mind going down the plugin route, I’m pretty sure Mbs has functions for this. I’m not on my laptop at the moment, so can’t find the exact reference. Pretty sure there is an example project when you download the plugins too.

You are right Richard :
Example/Mavericks/Tag Names.xojo_binary_project lets you pick a file and examine the tag names or set them.

Radium, you may want to dash by the Monkeybreadsoftware.net site and download the MBS-Xojo-Plugins142.dmg for Mac. You will be able to try before purchasing and see the project example.

[quote=114290:@Michel Bujardet]Xojo does not offer direct ways of accessing and manipulating tags. You will need to create your own interface to NSWorkspace through Declares.
See https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/Cocoa/Reference/ApplicationKit/Classes/NSWorkspace_Class/Reference/Reference.html

Then the sky is the limit ;)[/quote]
NSWorkspace offers a way to read tags, but I can’t find anything related to writing tags in there.

Then the best route is probably to go with the MBS pluggin. I tried the sample project and it works flawlessly.