Desktop Map Application - What approach is best?

I am creating a desktop app that uses a map and I need some general direction. I want to be able to a) display user waypoints on the map and b) create new waypoints (in a local database) when the user clicks on the map.

What is the right way to do this? For a) I think I can figure out how to send a latitude/longitude to google maps and display the result in the desktopHTMLViewer. But I’m not sure if that approach allows me to enter user waypoints as an overlay. Is using the HTMLViewer this way the right way to do this?

For b) I can imagine user the MouseDown events on the DesktopHTMLViewer control and calculating the lat lon but that requires knowing the exact latitude and longitude extents of the map I’m displaying. Is that available? Or is there a better approach?

Thank you,

Dan

Unclear to me that you’ll get a Xojo mousedown event when you click in the HTMLViewer. But isn’t here a google API for this stuff? I could imagine you’d have to write some javascript to go in your Viewer, to be added to the google API (if such exists) and then see what google offers for mousedown. You’d have to capture that event in the javascript, get the lat/lon, encode that somehow so you can pass it to the Xojo side via an ExecuteInXojo javascript call that gives you a JavascriptRequest event on the Xojo side.

Hi Tim, There is certainly an API for drawing a map (not sure about adding user datapoints on top of that). What I’m unclear about is if it’s possible to get ‘clicked on’ points fed back to the app. Your approach might be how it’s done. I’m happy to read and learn how to do it if anyone can provide a pointer. Just trying to avoid barking up the wrong tree here. Dan

You could search for “API to use with google maps”.