Deprecation Question

Can anyone explain this to me? I don’t understand if there’s a replacement or if this is no longer needed, but continues to “work” and will be removed down the line?.

[quote]Canvas.EraseBackground
From Xojo Documentation

This item was deprecated in version 2019r2, however it continues to work.[/quote]

This one too…

[quote]Canvas.DoubleBuffer
From Xojo Documentation

This item was deprecated in version 2019r2, however it continues to work.
[/quote]

Basically, all deprecated pages are listed there for 2019r2:

Deprecated 2019r2 …

I assume it’s simply not needed anymore.

Right, but it’s confusing because there’s no info about whether it still has an effect and if so, what is the default?

For instance, If I turn off double-buffer on Mac, the canvas allows controls behind it to render through if transparent is set… doesn’t work on windows… I guess a canvas can no longer transparently overlap a control in general?
This is with 2019r2…

[quote=461029:@jim mckay]
For instance, If I turn off double-buffer on Mac, the canvas allows controls behind it to render through if transparent is set… doesn’t work on windows… I guess a canvas can no longer transparently overlap a control in general?
This is with 2019r2…[/quote]

I think that was because of the change to Direct2D and if so predates 2019r2.

BTW that WAS an important feature for me … I suspect many had code that depended on that behavior.

• Karen

[quote=461029:@jim mckay]Right, but it’s confusing because there’s no info about whether it still has an effect and if so, what is the default?

This is with 2019r2…[/quote]
On the mac it should regardless of transparent or not
Windows should be the only place where transparent matters

the reset should not be used any more as far as I recall

Maybe I’m doing something weird… Seems an empty canvas is clipping checkboxes behind if double-buffer is on regardless of transparent… Mac 2019r2 and 2018r4

dont turn double buffered on on a mac
macOS already double buffers so its not needed

Ok, I was doing something weird. Seems both EraseBackground and Transparent do nothing on Mac with 2019r2. Double Buffer just makes it clip the background. As far as I can tell. Just a bit confusing what “deprecated but continues to work” actually means.