Dell Venue 8 Pro

Here’s an 8-inch tablet you can use Xojo to develop software for right now!

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Venue-Pro-Tablet-Windows/dp/B00FEE7B1I/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1396732253&sr=8-2&keywords=dell+venue+8+pro

I’m gathering thoughts from a friend who bought one, but it looks very promising for custom projects that need a tablet.

Here is another one:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_7_7/180-1790661-4002550?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=toshiba%20encore&sprefix=toshiba%2Caps%2C516

I have bought this one, it runs Xojo on Windows 8.1, Oracle Virtual Box with Linux Mint 16 with Xojo. I have even Abyss webserver running with Xojo WE-apps on Windows. Works nicely but don’t expect enormous processing power because it contains just as the Dell mentioned above a simple Atom processor and being a quadcore doesn’t realy help much.
It’s a nice machine for testing Xojo webapps with buildin ‘UPS’ (battery). :wink:

we purchase a Lenovo Tablet 2 which is 10.1" and i try my application written in Xojo. work perfectly fine except a bit allow since it only 2G RAM. Work much better with application written in MS Access. Wonder why??

I have sold fifty units of dell venue 8 pro with embedded xojo web application and more than four months, I did not got any complaint for the specific tablet about the performance or the application. I am using this tablet for kiosk web application.

Hello,

I think that Dell has a mini USB port. With a standard USB adapter, can be connected printers?

[quote=77236:@olivier vidal]Hello,

I think that Dell has a mini USB port. With a standard USB adapter, can be connected printers?[/quote]

[quote=77236:@olivier vidal]Hello,

It has a: Micro-AB USB 2.0 (for batteryloading with “trickle”-functionality and data transfer)
AFAIK you should be good to go, otherwise you can install a wifi- or Bluetooth printer.

I definitely get the value here as a small Windows computer or tweaked netbook form factor. Have any of you used it as a tablet? I.e. like an iPad or Android tablet? If I had a vertical app suite that needed tablet deployment, would Xojo apps deployed on these $250-ish Windows 8 tablets be as tablet-y as iPad apps or Android apps?

Personaly i don’t know why it should feel much different than an IPad, you only have to take into account that the controls you use are large enough to handle with your fingers. For the rest these tablets offer far more possibilities to run standard pc programs but then in many cases the use of a mouse is recommended. The Metro interface works fine, sometimes a little less and sometimes a lttle more convenient as on an IPad.
Most people use the IPad only/mainly for email and internet and games. For these tablets i think that the use is more universal.

Be ware : Phones and tablets with screen less than 9" = Windows 8.1 available for $0. So, 8" tablet like dell venue will cost around $200 or less. I believe a new market is opening and Xojo needs to offer solution on that (not desktop solution but metro apps)

[quote=77322:@Antonis Vakondios]I believe a new market is opening and Xojo needs to offer solution on that (not desktop solution but metro apps)

[/quote]

It would be nice indeed to be able to use Xojo instead of the idiotic tools made available by MS. At first glance, Visual Basic seems simple enough to develop Metro apps, but the ill conceived framework is so convoluted, the simplest thing requires pages of code. Printing for instance is more cruel than it was in assembler when Dos did not exist. It literally takes two pages of code to send a simple page to the printer. I will never understand how the people who designed that environment can release such a monstrosity. It is supposed to be the cream of modern programming, and it takes us back to the dark ages. Sloppy at best :confused:

However, having been masochistic enough to create a handfull of Metro apps and to place them in the Windows Store, I can report that sales are far lower than the MAS. And I suspect iOS enjoys a far higher volume of app sales than Windows RT/8.1 apps do. The Windows phone market is anecdotal, and Surface is forecasted to be 1.15% of the market in 2015, compared to iPad 29.6 % current share.

For the time being, I think Xojo is right to work on iOS. Even if we all have to wait.

By the way : being familiar with the Metro interface, I just toyed with a “metroized” desktop app : full screen, no menu bar, a 56 points Segoe UI font title, and transparent images for round and square buttons in canvas go a long way to emulate the look and feel of Windows Store apps. Which means Xojo can produce apps that comply to the Metro metaphor on x86 Windows 8.1 tablets. Once installed, desktop apps even appear among the native apps icons. Of course, one does not have to like the ugly look :wink:

Are the Dell Venue 8 Pro and Toshiba Encore tablets locked down in any way or is it just like having a Windows PC in tablet form?

Both are in fact normal pc’s, not locked down. It’s AFAIK even possible to replace the OS with another like Linux.
They are however restricted to 2 GB memory and only available in 32 en 64 GB disk.