.debug file not getting deleted

That’s icon services holding a file busy in a way the IDE cant’ delete everything. iconservi 472

May i ask the question why i see this only happen with the Xojo IDE?

It’s not exactly clear to me what “this” you refer to? Files being held busy by OS services? Or did you mean something else?

Exactly. Xojo is the only Tool i can experience this behavior. Is there really nothing we/you can do to just being able to Build more than 1 time in a row without having to manually delete the Builds Folder? I mean, i can build and then instantly delete the whole Builds Folder manually and build right away again. But when i build and 5 minutes later try to build again without manually deleting the Builds Folder, this error happens.

Since we don’t know why iconservicesagent, which seems to be a common culprit, is holding the file busy it’s really hard to know what, if anything, we could do to make this not happen. We can’t kill the iconservicesagent - that would be really unwelcome behaviour on our part. And there’s no api to request that it release it.

As for why manually deleting all that works vs the IDE trying to do it programmatically, I’m not sure. We are using the correct methods for removing the files and dirs but obviously with iconservicesagent holding it they fail. Google for iconservicesagent and you’'ll find lots of people having issues with it in various ways and not just using Xojo.

As for “is there nothing we can do” I’d ask are you using 10.13? That seems to be the common thing among most people experiencing this. I know the engineers work on a variety of systems. Norms on 10.12.6 a lot and never has this issue there. Greg has been working a lot on 10.14 and, as far as I know, is also not having this problem.

Indeed isolating the “what” that causes this repeatedly among the people experiencing it would be awesome as that would help us figure out if it’s something Xojo needs to do differently or if it is just a bug in iconservicesagent that Apple needs to fix. However if it’s only in 10.13 it’s unlikely Apple will fix it at this point but still - they might.

I am using macOS 10.14.1 (18B75) and sometimes still have to do a rm -rf before i can do another build. I am currently working around this using build scripts.

Only ever had this happen on Windows when using Dropbox as a store. Perhaps it is time to move to the real world?

On the Mac the problem isn’t related to Dropbox.

Using Xojo 16r3 Pro.
After a recent change in my system to both hardware (Mac mini, 2009 to a 27 inch iMac, 2012) and OS going from 10.11 to 10.13 I am now getting the issue of the debug file not being deleted, after doing what Norman suggested, the report was iconservi not allowing the delete.

the location of the directory is on the systems 3TB Fusion drive, so I do not know if its on the SSD part or the HDD part.

I also have an external time machine drive with a data partition I use for install files, after copying a version of the same project there and doing a RUN everything works as expected, press the STOP and the debug file is deleted as one might expect.

any suggestions why this might be the case, could it be blind luck that it takes a little longer to get to the delete as its on an external drive and the lock has had time to release???

additionally I tried the file all over the fusion drive, including iCloud Drive and as expected the same thing happens, not deleted, BUT something that is the same every time is that the .debug file of 10.9MB is partially deleted and always gets left with a size of 34k.

that seems very odd to me.

@Mark Carlton: Did you read the thread at all?

yes, I did, I am not sure if you are making a point that I should be understanding.

This is known behavior for the version of Xojo you are using. The operating system update you performed has some changes that disagree with Xojo 2016. Use a more up to date version of Xojo.

so I understand, I was making observations, an observation I did not share, as I forgot, was that if using the latest 18r4 the debug file is deleted.
I am not updating Xojo anytime soon, it can happily debug from the external drive and the issue is no longer there for me.

Thank You both for the replies.