.debug file not getting deleted

Does that mean you have multiple applications using that same file resource? What if that icns is copied to another folder them re-insert them into the ide. See what happens?

@Derk Jochems : nope, just an ordinary icon file.

[quote=352375:@Jens Knipp]Same here. After reading the user guide, I did the following steps:

1. Add a new script via Insert > Build Step > Script.
  2. Copy the mentioned code to the script.
  3. Drag the script in the navigator to macOS in the Build Settings section of the navigator.
  4. Your script has to be above the Build entry in order to be executed before building; drag it there, if it is unter the Build entry.

This works perfectly for running a debug application, but I have the additional problem, that my application is not built as long as there is already an application build in the Builds folder. So I would like to add some lines of code to my build script to remove the Builds folder of my application before building it again.
By now I have no working result. Is there a way to extend Beatrix’ script for that?[/quote]
I tried that initially but for some reason I can’t drag the script into the build setting section of the left side panel. Unless I’m doing it wrong. When I try to drag it there it bounces back to where it started from.

Most likely the later[quote=352412:@Beatrix Willius]@Derk Jochems: not a setting. Seems to be a problem with the macOS hanging on to the icon file. I suspect that this is also the reason why quitting the debug app takes so very very long on High Sierra.[/quote]
I am seeing this also… it takes a really looooooooonnnnngggggggg time.

I tried to transfer the project from the HS machine to my El Cap machine, but HS won’t see my network shares, won’t see other machine in AirDrop and it’s a USB-C machine so I can’t just plug a USB stick or SD card in. I’d disabled iCloud because it ate half my bookmarks. Sometimes I really wonder if Apple do any QA anymore or if it’s simply left to the beta testers.

Here is the link for the issue with the slow quit: <https://xojo.com/issue/48295> . I plan to revisit this after the next version of Xojo.

@Sam Rowlands: As for the rest: it’s just you. The computers know that you hate them.

That feedback case regarding the slow quit of debugging was closed. Is there another case somewhere for the bug that I can sign onto that is still open?

@Tom Iwaniec: Since beta testing was halted and I have a crash-on-start bug I wasn’t able to test if this is fixed for 2017r3.

I wonder if this is this due to APFS in High Sierra?

It seems to be other changes apple introduced before APFS
At least what I’ve seen

I have High Sierra om a Mac Mini with a 1 TB Fusion Drive.
The Fusion Drive isn’t converted to APFS and therefore still HFS+.
The debug file isn’t deleted here either.

Yeah its NOT APFS - there are other Apple processes that frequently have some file in the debug app open

lsof will tell you which processes (see way above where I mentioned this previously)

Here is something interesting …

This may not be the issue but Iwas debugging an app with the entire project folder on Dropbox (a cloud file sharing service). I think there was some hints below that the .debug file issue may be a timing thing. So, as a test, I moved my project to a local drive and the .debug file is deleted as it should be. The next debug session comes up without error this time.
So perhaps some odd timing or sharing nuance may be causing this? The failure was on the same system and the OS has been updated (macOS 10.13.1).

Yeah dont run projects from dropbox
Their sync process will almost certainly mess you up in one or more ways

to OSX users

in your close application do the following:

dim sCommand
dim s As Shell

s = new Shell

ls_command = "rm -rf " + applicationDebugFile.ShellPath

s.Execute(sCommand)

that’s it, works perfect

[quote=358029:@Johann Kienbrandt]dim sCommand
dim s As Shell

s = new Shell

ls_command = "rm -rf " + applicationDebugFile.ShellPath

s.Execute(sCommand)[/quote]

assume this is only applicable when in debug mode

that’s right, but there is no such file in a production version!

A word of warning when using “rm -r”, always add code to verify that the path you intend to delete is exactly what you think it is. In the past I had a function go wrong and supply the wrong path to the rm -r function, there’s no coming back!

[quote]when I quit an application in the IDE (either correctly by using the Quit menu, or forcefully) the [appname].debug file doesn’t get automatically deleted, and requires me manually removing it before I can run in the IDE again
[/quote]

Issue still not resolved. Xojo 2017r3, macOS 10.13.1

when you see this occurring PLEASE open terminal and run

lsof +D <full path to the debug app bundle>

draggin the “debug” file into terminal should give you the right path

We do a low level unlink of the file (which is what rm calls to remove files) but if the file is busy this too can fail

COMMAND PID USER FD TYPE DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME iconservi 472 danberghult txt REG 1,4 49575 10852958 /Users/danberghult/Mina prylar/Utveckling/Infomaker Utility Services/Infomaker Utility Services.debug.app/Contents/Resources/App.icn