Database index

Thanks in advance for the help.

Working on an Application, Database, 25 fields, Indexed three of them, School, Name, County. Starting the app, I load a listbox with the database records. I would like to be able to click on the listbox and load the data to textfields1-14 . One of the fields (24) is empty so that I can add notes to it (this works).

I have added a sqlquery to choose contacts based on School, name and county. Once the query runs, I repopulate the listbox with the search results (this works).

Not sure how to get the edit fields to populate after the query then click on a new list row. Any advice would be appreciated. I assume this is easy, and I have over thought it.

Thanks,

Kevin

What is the difference between School and Name ?
And say you have several schools in one county - you have the same county name in this table several times ?

Norman,

School is the name of the school. Name is the person in charge of the technology at that school. Yes if there are lots of schools in a county, this is a list we paid for contacts in an Excel worksheet, converted to a SQL database.

[quote=65126:@Kevin Cleary]Norman,

School is the name of the school. Name is the person in charge of the technology at that school. Yes if there are lots of schools in a county, this is a list we paid for contacts in an Excel worksheet, converted to a SQL database.[/quote]

Ah
Well I would not just dump it into a table that matches the excel foe structure as you will end up with issues
Been there done that with the accounting folks I worked with for so many years and then its your responsibility to fix it :stuck_out_tongue:

WIthout seeing how the data is laid out its hard to know exactly how to split it up but if you have counties & states then a table of “states” with a table joined to “counties” then to “school” would be useful AND reduce redundancies and the possibility that you end up with the same county (or state) spelled differently

Thats usually one design principle to follow with SQL databases
It can save yer bacon at times

For instance if you have (hypothetically)

School                 Name            County
   Some Fine School       Joe Smith       Made Up County
   Some Other School      Jim Smith       made up county

You and I can easily see they are likely in the same county but now you have to wrote db queries specially to account for the fact there may be case differences

If instead you have one table of “counties”

County               ID
   Made Up County       1

School                Name            County ID
   Some Fine School      Joe Smith       1
   Some Other School     Jim Smith       1

And you change the spelling in the Counties table then EVERY school in that county will get the name change
You made it once