Creating DLLs

I have looked everywhere for information on how to bundle up classes into a DLL in Xojo, but can find nothing on the subject. Have I missed it, or does Xojo not support DLL creation?

If it can’t create DLLs, what is the best practice for sharing business logic with multiple user interfaces? I have done development in VB5, VB6, and DotNet, but I am struggling to get over the hump with Xojo.

No, Xojo cannot create DLLs.

Sharing code is done at source level.

http://developer.xojo.com/userguide/sharing-code

It does not support creating DLL’s

As for the second part of this what do you have in mind ?
Apps written in Xojo ? Or apps written in other languages/tools ?

[quote=333899:@Sean Scott]I have looked everywhere for information on how to bundle up classes into a DLL in Xojo, but can find nothing on the subject. Have I missed it, or does Xojo not support DLL creation?

If it can’t create DLLs, what is the best practice for sharing business logic with multiple user interfaces? I have done development in VB5, VB6, and DotNet, but I am struggling to get over the hump with Xojo.[/quote]

I have used VB. Net DLLs a few years ago in conjunction with Xojo. It is not very difficult to do.

See http://blog.xojo.com/2014/01/03/accessing-net-code-from-xojo/

If you need or want to create dll’s then you could take a look at Powerbasic, not as user friendly as XOJO as far as visual design goes, and only Windows but it can create dll’s.

I’d suggest PureBasic because it’s cross-platform, I don’t know much about PowerBasic but I’m pretty sure it’s Windows only. Imo the GUI designer is PureBasic’s weakest point but for shared libraries or servers I think it’s excellent.

One day, Xojo will provide the possibility to create your own plugins in Xojo.

What do you mean ? It creates DLL for Windows and Dylibs for Mac with the same source ?

Yes.

I have a license for PureBasic (x86 and x64 cross-platform) and PowerBASIC (x86 Windows only) since a few years ago. PureBasic is alive but PowerBASIC is dead.

PureBasic, founded in 1998, still live and kicking and based in France.
But as far as I know you still have to create a separate project for each platform.

Yes, and *.so for Linux too.

[quote=333935:@Joost Rongen]But as far as I know you still have to create a separate project for each platform.[/quote]I’m sorry Joost but that’s just plain wrong, the source code is the same. It’s true the Windows IDE only compiles Windows binaries. the Linux IDE only compiles Linux binaries, etc… but your source code is the same and your license includes the right to use the IDE for all supported platforms.

PureBasic is onetime payment. It can make .dylib .so and .dll it’s not a cross-compiler so you need to make .dll on windows. I use it for making libraries and it can include c code (converted) and data resources (embed) in your libraries and executables.

PowerBasic, ohh well forget about it. It’s powerfull but you can do the same in xojo. And the price is higher.

It’s actually like xojo but it can’t cross compile but uses the same source to compile as you wish. Using the same platform; you need to run it on windows to dev windows .dll or .exe and so on

Think we should not discuss PureBasic any further here since we are the Xojo community.

It’s functionality Xojo doesn’t offer and furthermore the libraries you create with PureBasic can be complementary to your Xojo applications.

Hum…
The original question is :

Unless I am mistaken, none of the languages discussed allows bundling up Xojo classes within a DLL

May be time to let the plugging rest … Otherwise I am afraid this will end in a locked thread …

[quote=333960:@Michel Bujardet]Hum…
The original question is : “I have looked everywhere for information on how to bundle up classes into a DLL in Xojo”

Unless I am mistaken, none of the languages discussed allows bundling up Xojo classes within a DLL

May be time to let the plugging rest … Otherwise I am afraid this will end in a locked thread …[/quote]Paul answered that question in the very first response.

And let me remind you of your first contribution:[quote=333916:@Michel Bujardet]I have used VB. Net DLLs a few years ago in conjunction with Xojo.[/quote]

Arguing to death again, uh ? Could not resist ? Now ignoring that thread become too stuffy.