creating a shared window subclass

I want to create a standard window with a logo and standard controls on it for my application(s). This will require some subroutines, controls, image files, and event handlers. I want to be able to share this across several projects.

a) How do I create this new subclass?
b) How do I “include” it in each new application I write?

I want it so that if I make changes to the way the new window looks or operates (the subclass of window I want to create) I can change it once and the changes will automatically be included in all apps that include it.

Except for the image files, the window subclass and its controls can be exported as an external item. Just create the subclass window, select it, and choose “Export” from the File menu.

Then, in the projects where you want to include this, import it as external. You do that by holding down the Option key (Mac) or Alt key (Windows) when you choose “Import” on the File menu. If you don’t import it as external, you’ll end up with a new copy inside that project.

Once it’s external, any changes you make to the window will automatically appear in all the projects that use it.

It’s awesome and I highly recommend it.

Note that you will have to import the image files separately into each project, however. They are not embedded in the window. You may find it’s easier to import them code instead of including them as dropped items in the project window.

[quote=81045:@Lawrence Laswell]I want to create a standard window with a logo and standard controls on it for my application(s). This will require some subroutines, controls, image files, and event handlers. I want to be able to share this across several projects.

a) How do I create this new subclass?
[/quote]
You don’t do it as a window - you cannot inherit UI layout
A container control that you can easily reuse in each window would be a suitable alternative
Theres a webinar about these http://www.xojo.com/support/webinar.php

You can save a project as a template - but the second part of “if I update it it updates everywhere” means you want to read the “user guide - fundamentals” book about external items