CoverFlow / WiiFlow programming feasibility in Xojo

Hi,

I am currently working on a project and would like to know if Xojo would be a suitable for the needs I have.

I would like to have something similar to CoverFlow / WiiFlow that could be coded once and be cross-platform, here is what it look like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uftn9SfHwh0

I know I wouldn’t be able to create something like that due to my limited ability in programming so I am wondering if it would be a good idea to make it in Xojo and also have an idea of the money I would have to put to get it done.

Thanks ! :slight_smile:

Yes something like this can be done with Xojo, (there might even be “coverflow” like examples on this forum)… Not sure what you mean by “idea of the money I would have to put”… $99 for a desktop license, some time, some patient and a lot of imagination is all you will need to invest.

And you statement about limited ability… that has nothing to do with Xojo. Xojo isn’t “magic”, you will need to figure out what needs to be done to create the effects you desire… regardless of what langauge you decide to use. The brunt of the work is still on you.

This can be done with Xojo, but with OpenGLSurface or Franklin3d, not the canvas(canvas is too slow, and has no 3d capabilities).

And if you use OpenGL, there are better cross platform options available out there.

Yeah, I’ve saw the Coverflow thread you made here: https://forum.xojo.com/5214-coverflow-control/0

As for the license, I would be glad to pay for it but as I said, my programming skills are limited so that is why I’ve asked how much it would cost me to get the job done by someone else (Freelancer).

Thanks for your reply ! :slight_smile:

[quote=174541:@Ashot Khachatryan]This can be done with Xojo, but with OpenGLSurface or Franklin3d, not the canvas(canvas is too slow, and has no 3d capabilities).

And if you use OpenGL, there are better cross platform options available out there.[/quote]

Thanks, what would you suggest as an alternative cross platform solution that would be more suitable for my need ?

[quote=174541:@Ashot Khachatryan]This can be done with Xojo, but with OpenGLSurface or Franklin3d, not the canvas(canvas is too slow, and has no 3d capabilities).

And if you use OpenGL, there are better cross platform options available out there.[/quote]

I will disagree with you here… while OpenGl is faster, it has a much steeper less intuitive learning curve, and a full coverflow like implementation CAN be done with just a Canvas

As a matter of fact… here is a “crude” Coverflow example I wrote over two years ago, 100% in XOJO, and it could be sped up quite easily by adding features to pre-cache the pictures, disable background tasks etc…

www.rdS.com/coverflow.xojo_xml_project.zip

and it “should” work on both OSX and WIN

Ashot I also disagree and if coded properly the Canvas could deliver a coverflow like experience. Dave was able to prove this easily. Some of the additional “animation effects” won’t be easy, but are very do-able.

[quote=174574:@Dave S]As a matter of fact… here is a “crude” Coverflow example I wrote over two years ago, 100% in XOJO, and it could be sped up quite easily by adding features to pre-cache the pictures, disable background tasks etc…

www.rdS.com/coverflow.xojo_xml_project.zip

and it “should” work on both OSX and WIN[/quote]
So you are comparing your custom Xojo coverflow, with the one in the video posted by Jonathan?

Yours is not even close. The one in the video is 3D , has effects , animations and is still very responsive.

Please prove me wrong.

Hi Dave,

1. could be simple to handling pdf file too ?
  2. I tried it on windows 8, but when I try to drop a picture on the control appears to me the sign ban instead of the plus sign to add …

Thanks

[quote=174602:@Ashot Khachatryan]So you are comparing your custom Xojo coverflow, with the one in the video posted by Jonathan?

Yours is not even close. The one in the video is 3D , has effects , animations and is still very responsive.

Please prove me wrong.[/quote]
Not at all… I am showing that COVERFLOW like effect can be accomplished… His video shows WIIFLOW (but his post mentioned both)… And if you had bothered to read my response, I said it was in need of improvements, it was something I threw together two years ago as a proof of concept… And with a little work and imagination could provide a few seamless coverflow like expereience… It was not meant, nor intended to be a plugin solution for the OP, just to show that “it can be done”

Please post your example, so we can all benefit from how it is done properly.

Jonathan, maybe a cross platform game engine like Unity might be better for what you want to do.

[quote=174635:@Dave S]Not at all… I am showing that COVERFLOW like effect can be accomplished… His video shows WIIFLOW (but his post mentioned both)… And if you had bothered to read my response, I said it was in need of improvements, it was something I threw together two years ago as a proof of concept… And with a little work and imagination could provide a few seamless coverflow like expereience… It was not meant, nor intended to be a plugin solution for the OP, just to show that “it can be done”

Please post your example, so we can all benefit from how it is done properly.[/quote]
I don’t have an example because I don’t think it can be done properly, with the Canvas.

I love Xojo as much as you do, but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t have its limitations. Some things cannot be done with the Canvas control easily.

Oh and I don’t have anything against you Dave, the exact opposite. I just state my opinion. I am not an expert on the Canvas control, but from what I have seen it’s good for some things, it’s bad for other things.

[quote=174636:@Ashot Khachatryan]Jonathan, maybe a cross platform game engine like Unity might be better for what you want to do.

I don’t have an example because I don’t think it can be done properly, with the Canvas.

I love Xojo as much as you do, but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t have its limitations. Some things cannot be done with the Canvas control easily.

Oh and I don’t have anything against you Dave, the exact opposite. I just state my opinion. I am not an expert on the Canvas control, but from what I have seen it’s good for some things, it’s bad for other things.[/quote]

Ashot,

Dave is definitely an expert when it comes to Canvas and I view myself of somewhat an expert behind Dave. I know I could do the Coverflow with animations using Canvas and some plugins.

Bottom line is that I don’t have the time to put into a proper POC for Coverflow since I do not have any customer related needs fro it. I am sure this conversation will stand here for now :slight_smile:

I think the only thing Ashot means is mimicing the whole video functionality in pure Xojo (smooth) will be very hard. For that kind of stuff Xojo simply is not up to the challenge.

I’ve done some parts (Perspective, Glowing, Reflection) in the past, and it does work. However, speed with graphics is always an issue in pure Xojo.
http://alwaysbusycorner.com/2011/11/21/realbasic-canvas-tutorial-lesson-11-perspective/
http://alwaysbusycorner.com/2011/10/18/realbasic-canvas-tutorial-lesson-8/

These are older projects. If I had to build a coverflow nowadays, I would use the GdiPlus framework on Windows, and the MacOSLib framework on mac. They contain methods to do faster shearing, color matrixes for the reflections etc…

Thanks for all your inputs.

I think that Xojo might not be the ideal solution after all in term of lightweight and fast 3d animation.

Maybe I should go with Unity or another 3D cross platform IDE.

Still, I’ll need someone to code it, if you have idea to find good coder for this kind of project (Not from freelancers site ideally), that would be really appreciated ! :slight_smile:

I would say you should go to a freelance for hire site. That’s the best place to not know anything about what you’re trying to accomplish and come out with a finished product.