Could Xojo Apps Be Banned from the App Store? [Official Answer: Nope!]

Mac fans tend to get emotional about their favorite brand. But they did have to suffer a bit through Apple tribulations along these years :wink:

If Apple were going to forbid apps which weren’t built with Xcode, there would be a much bigger outcry. There are thousands and thousands of apps out there that aren’t written in Xcode, including some of the biggest titles.

They’re just saying “We’re Apple and we make Xcode and if you use it, you have to update your copy to 5.1.1”.

Notice a few news items below that one - you’ll see one that says “Starting February 1, new apps and app updates submitted to the App Store must be built with the latest version of Xcode 5 and must be optimized for iOS 7” and other tools are still being used to make iOS apps.

Everything is okay. Now, get back to work!

There’s nothing to be scared of , I actually quite like Xcode for some things… But do all my work in Xojo.

If I’m reading it right, it looks like the RBFramework was built with 5.1.0…

DTXcode

I would guess with the next Xojo update it will be built with 5.1.1?
Though I’m pretty sure I’ve submitted apps made with Xojo versions older than the required XCode version at the time and had no problem.

[quote=82943:@jim mckay]If I’m reading it right, it looks like the RBFramework was built with 5.1.0…

DTXcode

I would guess with the next Xojo update it will be built with 5.1.1?
Though I’m pretty sure I’ve submitted apps made with Xojo versions older than the required XCode version at the time and had no problem.[/quote]

These two posts summarize this non-issue.

If you require an earlier version than the latest Xojo one to post for the MAS, you won’t be able to any more and it may be a problem for you, though.

Come on guys. There is no way Apple would EVER ban Xojo apps from MAS. EVER. It has NEVER happened before and won’t EVER happen in the future. How these discussion aren’t over QUICKly and take so much TIME, I will NEVER understand.

Strictly speaking, it did happen once before (not allowing non-Xcode apps in the MAS). But it was such a disaster it was “fixed” relatively quickly.

I suspect Brad was being sarcastic. He seems to want to talk about this some more.

Oh. It’s possible. Sarcasm is one of the harder intentions when reading in a foreign language. If so I stand corrected.

Actually, re-reading I just noticed the “Quicktime” part, would’ve helped the first time around :smiley:

Everyone is talking like apple would do it to make everyone use xcode. Remember the App Store is the revenue stream the development tool is not. I don’t for one moment suppose apple care which dev environment is used its apps in the store that they want. I would say fear not.

Spoke with a Mac support rep. Shes never used Xojo but is aware of it and said Xojo apps will successfully submit as long as the dependencies and “runtime” is compiled with XCode 5.1.1. I guess somehow the compiled app has a signature somewhere (id imagine in the executable header?) that says what version of xcode was used to build it; if this is not equal to or greater (when a new XCode version is released) than 5.1.1, the app submit will be denied. It was indeed to fix a bunch of security problems and bugs.

BUT

She also said, that if Xojo, Inc. has some sort of corporate agreement with Apple, then any compiled Xojo apps will be acceptable. (She rattled off some other development languages that would still be accepted “AS-IS”…nigh, Xojo was not in that list).

Ultimately she said, ask Xojo, Inc if they have an agreement with Apple already in place, and if not they can inquire, and have to meet certain specs to get one.

Either way, at worst a new 2014 release with all XCode 5.1.1 compiled stubs and dependencies would make the panic a non-panic situation.

[quote=82981:@Matthew Combatti]Spoke with a Mac support rep. Shes never used Xojo but is aware of it and said Xojo apps will successfully submit as long as the dependencies and “runtime” is compiled with XCode 5.1.1. I guess somehow the compiled app has a signature somewhere (id imagine in the executable header?) that says what version of xcode was used to build it; if this is not equal to or greater (when a new XCode version is released) than 5.1.1, the app submit will be denied. It was indeed to fix a bunch of security problems and bugs.

BUT

She also said, that if Xojo, Inc. has some sort of corporate agreement with Apple, then any compiled Xojo apps will be acceptable. (She rattled off some other development languages that would still be accepted “AS-IS”…nigh, Xojo was not in that list).

Ultimately she said, ask Xojo, Inc if they have an agreement with Apple already in place, and if not they can inquire, and have to meet certain specs to get one.

Either way, at worst a new 2014 release with all XCode 5.1.1 compiled stubs and dependencies would make the panic a non-panic situation.[/quote]
Thanks Matt. Perhaps xojo could follow up your post and put this one to bed.

I don’t think there’s really any reason to panic either way Xojo will prevail and has 2 different options :slight_smile:

OK, now that I have got my mind around this, I think the best thing Apple could do for me is require 64 bit apps for MAS by June 15.

We all love a good scare, but… This is EASTER season. Not halloween. Why the boogieman ?

I was just curious. I’ve been a Mac developer since 2007 (coder since birth!) and have only ever used native technologies. Apple has tendencies for “deprecating” (read: destroying) great tools for the sake of the padded room experience. It worried me when the wording sounded like you had to develop your app with Xcode.

And I’m still curious as to how it will pan out. So far we’ve had an Apple rep say “idk, ask your vendor.” If it requires a Xojo update, what happens in the future if Apple does it again? Will I be forced to renew my license, or will there be a workaround?

I’m still very new to this world, so these kinds of questions are floating around my head to help me determine just how much I should invest myself.

Well, Apple like to change things every once in a while. They do this with their OS and with the App Store. It always causes a lot more work for us developers to keep up with them.

You don’t have to keep up, some apps just continue to work, while some don’t. The Mac App Store however is the worst as Apple suddenly turn around and black all apps that use a technology that most people didn’t even know was deprecated (hence the reference to QuickTime). Or they introduce Sandboxing (which is awesome from a security POV), however it’s functionality was to limited and it took developers a long time to understand some of the hidden problems with it.

On the upside, the Mac OS is probably the most secure, virus, malware (other marketing terms for harmful apps) operation system out there. Except for MacKeeper, avoid that at all costs!

As for renewing licenses, at some point you will have too. Apple will make changes in the future, that Xojo will have to adjust.

We have high level contacts at Apple who are fans of Xojo. If anything was going to change, we would already know about it.

Apple is simply talking about Xcode. They are not changing their policy regarding third party development tools. In fact, if anything it’s quite the opposite. Apple has gone out of its way to help us.

Move along people. There’s nothing to see here.

Thank you so much!

Party pooper.