Could not open plugin Runtime Error

Okay, so I built an universal app. It launches fine for me. I can’t reproduce the problem at all.

Next I used lipo to extract arm64 and x86_64 parts of dylib.
And then I joined them together.
The resulting files are identical!?

On which version of macOS did you do the building?

I tried 10.14 and 10.15 here.

Can you make this test app available for download, so I can give it a try on my machines? I guess the result will be the same as with Beatrix imap app - working fine on her machines but not on mine (and maybe some others, as Sams…).

I just guess: was there a beta version of 2020r2 installed on the computers on which it works? Maybe some extra tools were installed, updated or something like that with the beta releases?

Another blind guess - just to rule something out.
@Thomas_Roemert - the RuntimeErrors in your ScreenShot show that you have the .app on your Desktop. Do you have by any chance iCloud turned on and “iCloud Drive: Sync Desktop/Documents” turned on - on those machines that don’t run the .app? If so: Is it the same effect with RuntimeError in other locations on the filesystem?
Maybe it’s a silly idea, but then again - some have seen weird issues with iCoud-Drive-Sync… so let’s rule that one out.

Icloud Sync is off on all my machines, and I can put the UB app to Desktop or Applications or elsewhere on disk - the error message is the same…

Which strengthens my thoughts that this is not a code signing issue (phew), but it has something to do with the processor.

What hardware are you trying it on, for @kevin_g and I see the failures on a 2012 machine.

I also get the same error and iCloud is firmly disabled on my machines and the various OSes (I will never touch that POS again, after it ate all the files on my desktop and documents folder).

I would have thought if the offset was incorrect it wouldn’t work at all. There are also alignment fields in the Mach-O meta data, and this is where my knowledge currently ends. I only know enough to read and get the meta data I need for App Wrapper.

There’s several things here that I can see.

1. BBEdit uses hardlinking to its libraries, Xojo uses soft linking (in code).
  2. Even if I were able to hardlink libraries (in theory I could), the code in Xojo would still try to softlink and fail.
  3. It’s possible that Xojo are manually assembling the Mach-O file from different slices and are missing something.
  4. Its possible that modern versions of lipo are missing something as they’re designed for newer versions of the OS and newer hardware.
  5. its possible its a combination of one or more than one of the above.

@Christian_Schmitz if your manually assembled dylib demo project runs on a 2012 circa machine (with 10.13 or 10.14), then we have a baseline. If it doesn’t work, then it may appear to be an issue with lipo and softlinking.

On a hunch I tried to code sign the Ausbruch application on macOS 10.14 (as the version from @Thomas_Roemert crashes on my machine).

But it didn’t make any difference, still crashes.

Edit: Also rebooted in 10.13 and tried signing there, but doesn’t help either.

There is a code signing issue with macOS 10.13 and App Store Apps, Apple have revoked one of their own certs, which can prevent App Store customers from running software from the App Store on 10.13. The solution is to upgrade to a newer OS or buy a new Mac.

I was interested in-case this was affecting us, but none of the solutions have made any difference. I am getting more confident that this is not a code signing issue (even though I have seen the same error with an incorrectly signed app).

FWW I have the same issue here. But it only happens with UB running it on a AS device. Works fine on Intel system.
Building the app separately for ARM and Intel works fine. It’s for sure the UB versions that triggers this on my MBP M1.

Seems like your problem may be launching Intel version from ARM64 app doesn’t work. Strange, but may be a bug in Apple’s code.

1 Like

In the meantime Christian and I have found why it triggered.
It has was an issue with the helper app that always tried to launch the Intel version. Christian updated the MBS plugins. So it is fixed for my case.

2 Likes

Did another test: installed a new Parallels VM with “Mojave” (10.14.6), without appleID and iCloud, installed my UB testing app (https://deltaworx.de/download/Ausbruch_UB.dmg) and again got the Runtime Error message.

The same with @Beatrix_Willius imap UB app…

Anyone else with UB apps (with non xojo plugins) to test?

Did you contact the Xojo guys?
Did you try building on Mojave?

Christian opened a feedback case ( https://xojo.com/issue/62805 ) - are there other ways to contact the “xojo guys”?

Building on Mojave or Big Sur does not make any difference…

hello@xojo.com

To me it looks like various people have different problems. And the app sent to me from a client works here on Intel and Apple Silicon without problems.

Doesn’t matter if it’s different problems. Xojo needs to sort the problems out - the sooner the better. Turkey eating time is over.

Sure, this will be fixed when Xojo ships as Universal app.