Could not open plugin Runtime Error

I even checked the Apple docs for dlopen to see if it had changed, but it doesn’t appear to have changed in over 15 years.

I’ve still got this gut feeling that it might be a code signing issue, but I don’t see what and comparing with BBEdit 13, I really don’t see it.

BBEdit was built (and probably signed) with macOS 11.0 and Xcode 12.2.

Why do both apps start for me under BS?

They both work for me in 10.15.5 and 11.0.1, but it’s 10.14.6 or lower that they will not work for me.

To open the UB apps in Big Sur is not the problem - this works fine here. Its 10.11 up to 10.14 where the problem appears (on my test machines and apparently on Sams).

Thanks for testing and confirming the error - hope its easier to find the reason if more people are able to reproduce it…

1 Like

I tried your app on macOS 10.11.6 and got the following error:

Condition: false
Message: Could not open plugin MBS_MacBase_NSAttributedString_Plugin_20393.dylib (dlopen(/Volumes/Ausbruch/Ausbruch.app/Contents/Frameworks/MBS_MacBase_NSAttributedString_Plugin_20393.dylib, 5): no suitable image found. Did find:
/Volumes/Ausbruch/Ausbruch.app/Contents/Frameworks/MBS_MacBase_NSAttributedString_Plugin_20393.dylib: no matching architecture in universal wrapper)

1 Like

Stupid question: shouldn’t the minimum version of macOS be 10.13 and not 10.10?

High Sierra:

Mojave in VM:

It really depends on what the Xojo framework requires, the MBS plugins require and any declares that @Thomas_Roemert may be using.

It is interesting that it works on your machine, which is from 2017 (mine is from 2012). In theory that shouldn’t make a difference.

What machine did you try this on?

MBS Plugins are all build to load & run on macOS 10.9 or newer.

But I fear the new signatures may not validate on older macOS versions. Could that be?

Mid 2012 15" Macbook Pro Retina

That’s what I am thinking too, except that BBEdit 13 works and the Xojo made applications work on Beatrix’s 2017 iMac.

Same as what I’ve got…

Xojo’s own plugins (e.g. the MySQL Community Plugin) work fine in a UB app, even under 10.11. Maybe you can find out if and where there is a difference between their plugins and yours?

Do only your own apps not work? Have you tested other UB Xojo apps that use MBS?

Which xojo made apps with mbs or einhugur plugins are UB right now and available to test? Do you have one to test?

Try http://www.mothsoftware.com/downloads/imap.zip . Made for testing the Chilkat plugin but uses MBS, too.

Sorry, does not work: after removing the quarantine bit the well know error window pops up…

Monosnap 2020-11-30 15-03-21

Interesting. I tested the app on High Sierra, BS Intel and on a DTK.

Do apps work, if you build arm64 and intel separate and launch those?
Then maybe the creation of universal dylibs by Xojo is broken?

Creating seperate for intel and arm64 works (as far as i can test without m1 Mac)…

You could try and make UB plugin dylibs yourself from those with lipo command line tools.

That doesn’t tell us why the apps work for me and not for Thomas. It’s time that either the Xojo people get involved or Apple.

1 Like