Converting number or decimal ratio into hours and minutes

I have been trying all day to get this to work and I found out that Integer typecasting was resulting in the math chewing the final total 1 quantity short on both hours and minutes.

Here is the corrected code that is now working for me to calculate a basic ratio of minutes-to-sixty and showing the end result in hours and minutes.

If t_decimal.Text = "" Then
  t_decimal.Text = "0"
  t_minutes.Text = "0"
  t_hours.Text = "0"
End If

Var c_decimal As Double
Var c_hours As Integer
Var c_minutes As Double

c_hours = 0
c_minutes = 0

c_decimal = Val(t_decimal.Text)

While c_decimal >= 1
  c_hours = c_hours + 1
  c_decimal = c_decimal - 1
Wend

c_minutes = c_decimal * 60

t_hours.Text = Str(c_hours)
t_minutes.Text = c_minutes.ToString(Locale.Current, "###.#")

I hope this helps other people.

Below is a screen grab.

You can download my window exported for integration into desktop apps.

The code is basic math, and you can try it in Android or iOS apps, too.

Enjoy!

May I ask, what is the use case? I haven’t encounter this yet.

1 Like

Here is one use case, and I actively use this for my own billing:

If you are a professional who has to record worked, billable, and invoiced hours – like me – the convenience of a converter saves me so much effort when I am drafting my invoices. A lot of professionals like attorneys may adjust their billing to meet contractual minimums, and it is easier with a converter.

If anyone on here is working on billing / payroll / project management software, this is a use case.

Interesting. We bill by the quarter hour. I can literally bill 3 clients 0.25 hours in the course of a half hour. I enter a fractional amount and then just add them up and multiply by the hourly rate when we generate invoices.

1 Like

If you work in the legal industry, high rates have resulted in minimums of a tenth of an hour and sometimes as little as five percent of an hour.

When you’re forking over $1k+ per hour, a quarter-hour minimum would be very difficult for non-wealthy clients to pay for. So it is not uncommon for my billing sheets to show three minutes on one task (e.g. an e-mail response or a scan-and-file task).

So the chart is literally a necessity on the window, for easy reference. The calculator / converter function is something that I am porting to Android for use in a matters manager for attorneys doing “road work” such as visiting clients at a jail or attending a deposition.

Law firms have such a unique set of requirements that many billing / tracking / project management apps currently on the market have serious deficiencies that leave attorneys frustrated and sticking to their use of paper-based recordkeeping.

I work at multiple law firms so I have an “unfair” advantage as a software developer targeting this market.

1 Like