Connecting to SQL Server

Has anyone successfully connected to an SQL Server? I have tried all the code samples in the help documentation. I am very new to xojo and I would like very much to go deeper with it but everything I do is database related so if this is going to be problematic I may have to look elsewhere. I have tried 2 methods. One was using insert / database and I cant get that to work:

And I also tried programmatically:

Any advice or help on this would be greatly appreciated!!!

A quick look at the documentation would reveal the .port parameter… as in this PostgreSQLDatabase Example

Var db As New PostgreSQLDatabase db.Host = "192.168.1.172" db.Port = 5432 db.DatabaseName = "BaseballLeague" db.UserName = "broberts" db.Password = "streborb" Try db.Connect // Use the database Catch error as DatabaseException // DB Connection error MessageBox(error.Message) End Try?

Are you able to connect using SSMS or another manager? Many hosts disallow connecting directly to a hosted DB. (BTW, the standard port for Sql Server is 1433)

This is how I connect to a SQL Server Database:

Dim DB As New MSSQLServerDatabase
DB.Host = "ServerName\\SQL Server Instance"  ("asus-nedi\\SqlExpress")
DB.DatabaseName = "Your Database Name"
DB.UserName = "Your user name"
DB.Password = "Your user password"

If DB.Connect Then
  . . . . 

Of course you must have the MSSQLServer Plugin in you plugins folder…

By default a SQL server does not respond on TCP ports which Xojo requires. You’ll need to configure your server correctly first by running the SQL Server Configuration Manager & enabling TCP/IP under SQL Server Network Configuration.

the second screenshot of him with error message have nothing to with sql server. “can’t find a type with this name”

and it seems the host name contains a port number at the right.

as new user u are using xojo 2019r3?

Valuable message. Don’t think this is so clearly stated in the Xojo documentation.

After struggling with Xojo MSSQL I switched to MBS SQL plugins, years ago.

[quote=469595:@Markus Rauch]the second screenshot of him with error message have nothing to with sql server. “can’t find a type with this name”

[/quote]
seems to me the ms sql server plugin is not installed ?

But i think it was installed by default when you install Xojo, am i right?

or an old plugin version that has not been replaced with a newer Xojo ?

Here is a blog article on how to connect to Microsoft SQL Server from macOS, Windows and Linux:

https://www.mbsplugins.de/archive/2018-06-15/Crossplatform_connection_to_Mi