Complex WEB window not showing in the IDE at all.

Hi All,
very excited day 1 however not excited about the main page of my WE app not displaying in the IDE at all. Haven’t checked all the others however they seem to be ok.

Is this a known bug and there is a simple workaround?

If I copy that page and paste it into a new WEB project the IDE crashes.
If I run the app the IDE crashes.

Also when I click on recent projects at start up it takes about 20 seconds to list 10 projects.
i7-2600K @3.4GHz 64bit Quad Core aka really fast machine. Windows 7

PS There is no scroll bar on this window when i am typing, the only way to get to the top is to use the up arrow.

PPS It does look pretty though :slight_smile:

thanks
Damon

How is the speed of the IDE in this project? Is the CPU activity really high? I have a problem with a web app with a complex page that really bogs down the IDE. This only started in the last week or so of the beta - before that it was fine. I wonder if your page is even more complex so that the IDE can’t even render it?

I reported my problem in <https://xojo.com/issue/26840>, but you probably won’t be able to see it as it is/was a beta report.

Hi Jay,
rebooted system and ran xojo. CPU jumped up and down from 2-46% but leveled off at 2%
opened project and once again CPU acted accordingly leveling out at 2%
opened a page which loads fine and there was a cpu jump to 20% or so and then a drop to 2%
opened another page which loads fine and there was a cpu jump to 37% or so and then a drop to 2%

speed was ok for all - probably 3 second delay at the worst for a complex page on the first load, got better on the second load.

opened the bad page was a cpu jump to 8% and then a drop to 2%, it appeared to give up quickly as well,

I do notice that resizing the IDE is really jerky. Thought it might be best to separate the navigator and put it on the second monitor.

Options / As floating palettes

made no difference and went to change it back to find the Options window hadn’t closed, tried to close it again and the IDE crashed out.
:frowning:

I do miss the beta list sometimes.

Thanks
Damon

Hi Jay,

extra info.

thought I would do the old beta tester check of deleting each element one by one to see if the page appeared. However no matter which element (button /listbox etc…) the IDE crashed out.

I did notice that in XOJO every page has a menu handler with “untitled” in it. Which is weird I thought so I went back to the old IDE and could not find it there however I did notice what was, in the end, causing the crash.

If you could confirm this for me.

In XOJO create a WE app with a listbox in it, set the column count to 4 and tick multi line (not sure what it is called but move the switch over so it is on) .

type this into the column width field “25%,50%,25%” (3 values only)

Click on the app icon, click on WebPage1 icon, hey-presto your page has gone.

Since this is the only element you can delete it double click on inspector and you will be back in business.

You can play with the above to cause a crash by changing the column widths to 10% then 10%,90% then 10%,80% , 10% crash ( well it did for me)

Thanks
Damon

[quote=10892:@damon pillinger]If you could confirm this for me.

In XOJO create a WE app with a listbox in it, set the column count to 4 and tick multi line (not sure what it is called but move the switch over so it is on) .

type this into the column width field “25%,50%,25%” (3 values only)

Click on the app icon, click on WebPage1 icon, hey-presto your page has gone.

Since this is the only element you can delete it double click on inspector and you will be back in business.

You can play with the above to cause a crash by changing the column widths to 10% then 10%,90% then 10%,80% , 10% crash ( well it did for me)[/quote]
Damon,

I tried all of this and didn’t have a problem. Now, I’m on a Mac. I’ll try it in a Windows VM later.

Jay

Yes, in Windows the IDE crashed as soon as I made those changes to the listbox - I didn’t even get a chance to switch to the App view and back. Of course, the solution is to enter a width value for all columns (even if 0). Then again, the IDE shouldn’t crash no matter what values are entered. Notify that the values are invalid, but not crash.

You should file a feedback case about this.

[quote=10878:@damon pillinger]Hi Jay,
rebooted system and ran xojo. CPU jumped up and down from 2-46% but leveled off at 2%
opened project and once again CPU acted accordingly leveling out at 2%
opened a page which loads fine and there was a cpu jump to 20% or so and then a drop to 2%
opened another page which loads fine and there was a cpu jump to 37% or so and then a drop to 2%

speed was ok for all - probably 3 second delay at the worst for a complex page on the first load, got better on the second load.

opened the bad page was a cpu jump to 8% and then a drop to 2%, it appeared to give up quickly as well,

I do notice that resizing the IDE is really jerky. Thought it might be best to separate the navigator and put it on the second monitor.

Options / As floating palettes

made no difference and went to change it back to find the Options window hadn’t closed, tried to close it again and the IDE crashed out.
:frowning:

I do miss the beta list sometimes.

Thanks
Damon[/quote]

Please file a bug report with the project attached to a private note so I can see whats up

Hi Norman ,

filed the case last night it is 27075

Quite hard to create an example to send you as the IDE crashes out either when you create the listbox or when you flick back to it to check it isn’t there. If you follow the instruction on the report you will get the crash and/or not see the window.

Thanks
Damon