Clarifications about using free version of Xojo IDE

Hi!
Xojo is free-of-charge to learn programming and/or develop software and a Xojo License Key is required to build applications…
So that means that I can develop and use an app by running it directly from the IDE without ever bulding it?
Would this type of use violate the license agreement?
Thanks!

1 Like

No, it’s what the free IDE is meant for! Please develop, run and test your projects all you want before purchasing!

Yes, you can, just remember that the apps running from the IDE usually run slower than a compilled app. This is for the communication beetween the app and the IDE to make the debugging posible.

Also worth noting you won’t be able to use the Worker class, as it’s using a regular thread in debug mode.

1 Like

As I understand it, you have to save in binary project format when running in free mode. That means you can’t use version control, which requires text format.

Correct. There are these one or two restrictions, but being able to do a lot of dev and testing without commitment I found to be very useful in deciding whether Xojo was the tool I should be using. And if you get a Lite licence, the project format restriction is then lifted.

Real information for Lite version:

https://www.xojo.com/store/

Binary format only,
Only one platform,
etc. (read below)

You need at least a Desktop license for the text formats.

Ah. My mistake.

Thanks everyone for the answers! :smile: