Choosing the Right Operating System to do our job

Is Windows OS becoming slowly outdated?
Which Operating system is most likely recommended in creating software, Generally Today? -

• Mac/Linux/Windows

Or Should just buy a Mac?

the one you have customers for !

9 Likes

There are some advantages to using a Mac if you’re making cross platform applications. You can run virtual machines and compile from the Mac. Also, it’s the only Xojo platform that allows for creating an iOS application from what I understand.

2 Likes

What @Joseph_Claeys says is very true, but keep in mind that the Apple Developer fees (as cheap as they are) really do play into being a successful developer on the macOS platform, so plan on that $99 expense in addition to buying the Mac. Also, I’d recommend that you look at OWC’s refurbished options as that can save you a load of money.

I’m lucky enough to have an environment where I can have multiples of each machine type in our lab, but my i7 rMBP has been my main computing system for 7 years.

If you want to produce Mac apps, you will need a Mac. A used one may be enough for code signing, notarization and testing.

If you only make apps for Windows clients, a PC is enough.

Currently, buying an Intel Mac will allow you to use Windows or Linux in a VM.

However it is still unknown how Windows or Linux will work on Touchless iPads Arm Macs, if at all.

This makes it an interesting debate for those looking to get into Mac development. Buy now, only to possibly need a new machine in < 6 months (for testing), or wait a few months and buy a machine that can only run iPhone, iPad and Mac apps. At least the Apple SiliMac should be able to run the Intel apps and arm64 apps, but the Intel machines won’t.

At least the Apple SiliMac

SillyMac. And

should be able to run the Intel apps

As long as Rosetta 2 is part of the operating system, we’ve learned in the past.

I would recommend to now get an intel one as development platform, where you can run Windows and Linux in VM.
Later you may add a small ARM MacBook to test there.

1 Like

This would be my recommendation as well. Check with the Mac refurbishers to get a deal on a Retina Mac Book Pro i7 with 16GB of RAM and you’re able to run all of the latest macOS versions (including Bug Sur). You get Thunderbolt, USB 3, HDMI, and an SD card reader. It also runs VMWare Fusion, Parallels, and VirtualBox very well for running other OSes like Linux, FreeBSD, and Windows.

For example: