Choose Between Program Files and Program Files (x86)

Hi everyone

I have an issue with SpecialFolder.Applications on Windows
as the Wiki says: but be /Program Files or /Program Files (x86)

And In fact its true, Depending on the PC I guess.

But the Issue is that I have three PCs that have both Folders (Program Files and Program Files (x86))
So I wonder if there is a way to choose specifically /ProgramFiles(x86)??

Regards

It depends on whether the app is 32-bit or 64-bit, not on the PC.

This depends on the type of your app (32-bit or 64-bit) and the type of your Windows OS. You cannot choose the location yourself.

• “Program Files (x86)” is used on 64-bit Windows OS with a 32-bit app.
  • “Program Files” is used on a 32-bit Windows OS with a 32-bit app or a 64-bit Windows OS with a 64-bit app.

“Program Files (x86)” is for 32-bit programs on a 64 bit version of Windows. It will also change according to the user’s language. SpecialFolder.Applications queries the OS to find the appropriate folder regardless of its name.

[quote=341541:@Gerardo García]Hi everyone

I have an issue with SpecialFolder.Applications on Windows
as the Wiki says: but be /Program Files or /Program Files (x86)

And In fact its true, Depending on the PC I guess.

But the Issue is that I have three PCs that have both Folders (Program Files and Program Files (x86))
So I wonder if there is a way to choose specifically /ProgramFiles(x86)??[/quote]

On Windows 32 the only folder is Program Files, not Program Files (x86). Better use an installer, as recommended, and don’t second guess it. Let it do it’s job. It will put the program where it is expected by Windows.

I don’t remember the last time I saw a 32-bit windows machine. Is that still a thing?

Windows tablets and convertible.

Or anyone still running Windows XP.

I will intentionally use 32-bit for my Windows VM’s since I give them 3GB of memory or less (often 1GB). It runs better in a small memory footprint.