Changing Xojo.exe name causes start failures

Has this always been the case? I rename my Xojo versions on OS X so that I can keep them straight in my mind (and on my dock). Doing this on Windows causes library load failures. I’ve even tried renaming the Libs and Resources folders.

Is this impossible on Windows?

Confirmed. You cannot rename the exe.

I install them into separate folders depending on their version numbers to keep track of what is what but when they are running there is no quick/easy way of seeing which version is which. It would be nice if the version number was in the title bar so we can see which version we are running when testing different versions. I have put a feature request in <https://xojo.com/issue/47408>

Same if you rename your own Exe files made with Xojo. Which is really odd thing to do I don’t think any other windows Applications do this. I think it is since they maybe look for the libraries folder based on the Exe name ?

(and same on Linux if I remember correctly).

Probably better would be if they just stored the original Exe name in the code of the application and looked for the library folder by that.

Not sure this will work BUT what if you lift all the DLLs in the LIBS dir and put them next to the exe and then rename the exe ?

No, it does not work.

[quote=321422:@Tim Jones]Has this always been the case? I rename my Xojo versions on OS X so that I can keep them straight in my mind (and on my dock). Doing this on Windows causes library load failures. I’ve even tried renaming the Libs and Resources folders.

Is this impossible on Windows?[/quote]

In Windows, the short-cuts can be renamed to anything you want. The renamed short-cuts will still launch corresponding Xojo.exe from the corresponding program folders.

The worst issue I find under Windows of not being able to rename the exe itself is to set the default app for Xojo projects. Windows simply cannot distinguish between versions, because it always find xojo.exe. As a result, it is impossible to have several versions of Xojo on a machine, and select an older version than the last one installed.

The simplest way around this is to do the following:

1. Create a folder on the desktop called Xojo (you can create it anywhere, if you want it on quick access, right click it and click Pin to Quick access).
  2. Create a number of shortcuts in this folder to the differently exe’s you have installed (into separate folders) and rename them as you wish.
  3. Right click a xojo_project select Open withChoose another appMore Apps \/Look for another app on this PC
  4. Locate the folder you created in step 1 and select the link of the version you want.

It turns out that the installer creates the appropriately named shortcuts and this is what had me confused (Windows is a third world OS in my environment). The issue was related to a manual install of a copy that wasn’t being managed by the Windows Installer,

Using the proper installer results in the Start menu entry including the version identifier as part of the displayed identifier.

Here you go https://forum.xojo.com/39477-right-click-open-to-different-versions-of-xojo

Yup, thats what I do :slight_smile: