Cannot debug any iOS apps - Icon issue

Is anyone else seeing similar?
My project has been running find and after r4 update I can’t run with an error related to the app icon.

**AppIcon.Name**
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>com.apple.actool.compilation-results</key>
	<dict>
		<key>output-files</key>
		<array>
			<string>/var/folders/zr/mp7szfxd4h10lgswmgcnkn_c0000gn/T/com.xojo.xojo-temp-11/AppIcon20x20@2x.png</string>
			<string>/var/folders/zr/mp7szfxd4h10lgswmgcnkn_c0000gn/T/com.xojo.xojo-temp-11/AppIcon20x20@3x.png</string>
			<string>/var/folders/zr/mp7szfxd4h10lgswmgcnkn_c0000gn/T/com.xojo.xojo-temp-11/AppIcon29x29@2x.png</string>
			<string>/var/folders/zr/mp7szfxd4h10lgswmgcnkn_c0000gn/T/com.xojo.xojo-temp-11/AppIcon29x29@3x.png</string>
			<string>/var/folders/zr/mp7szfxd4h10lgswmgcnkn_c0000gn/T/com.xojo.xojo-temp-11/AppIcon29x29~ipad.png</string>
			<string>/var/folders/zr/mp7szfxd4h10lgswmgcnkn_c0000gn/T/com.xojo.xojo-temp-11/AppIcon40x40@2x.png</string>
			<string>/var/folders/zr/mp7szfxd4h10lgswmgcnkn_c0000gn/T/com.xojo.xojo-temp-11/AppIcon40x40@3x.png</string>
			<string>/var/folders/zr/mp7szfxd4h10lgswmgcnkn_c0000gn/T/com.xojo.xojo-temp-11/AppIcon40x40~ipad.png</string>
			<string>/var/folders/zr/mp7szfxd4h10lgswmgcnkn_c0000gn/T/com.xojo.xojo-temp-11/AppIcon60x60@2x.png</string>
			<string>/var/folders/zr/mp7szfxd4h10lgswmgcnkn_c0000gn/T/com.xojo.xojo-temp-11/AppIcon60x60@3x.png</string>
			<string>/var/folders/zr/mp7szfxd4h10lgswmgcnkn_c0000gn/T/com.xojo.xojo-temp-11/AppIcon76x76@2x~ipad.png</string>
			<string>/var/folders/zr/mp7szfxd4h10lgswmgcnkn_c0000gn/T/com.xojo.xojo-temp-11/AppIcon76x76~ipad.png</string>
			<string>/var/folders/zr/mp7szfxd4h10lgswmgcnkn_c0000gn/T/com.xojo.xojo-temp-11/AppIcon83.5x83.5@2x~ipad.png</string>
			<string>/var/folders/zr/mp7szfxd4h10lgswmgcnkn_c0000gn/T/com.xojo.xojo-temp-11/partial.plist</string>
		</array>
	</dict>
	<key>com.apple.actool.errors</key>
	<array>
		<dict>
			<key>description</key>
			<string>The operation couldn’t be completed. Failed to locate any simulator runtime matching options: {
    BuildVersionString = 21C52;
    Platforms =     (
        "com.apple.platform.iphonesimulator"
    );
    VersionString = "17.2";
}</string>
			<key>failure-reason</key>
			<string>Failed to locate any simulator runtime matching options: {
    BuildVersionString = 21C52;
    Platforms =     (
        "com.apple.platform.iphonesimulator"
    );
    VersionString = "17.2";
}</string>
		</dict>
	</array>
</dict>
</plist>

**AppIcon**

I did not see this (but only testing one of the example projects). Did you install/update to latest Xcode?

I thought I had but didn’t.
I just updated the platform to 7.2 and all is good in the world again.

Thanks!

I Had same trouble. Has anyone have a solution ?

The solution here was:

Maybe you have another problem if you have the right Xcode.

1 Like

You might also have to go into Xcode and install OS 17.2 it did not do that automatically for me.

Xcode>> Settings >>Platforms and make sure 17.2 is installed

It was not on mine and that helped fix issue.

I encountered this issue right now and found this thread. This leads me to wonder why the build process of Xojo expects the last version of iOS to be installed. Can’t it just request to build in the current installed version?
(in other words, why is it needed to update to the latest iOS version?)

It is a recommandation of Apple:

Please note that as of April 2024 all iOS and iPadOS apps submitted to the App Store must be built with a minimum of Xcode 15 and the iOS 17 SDK.
Source: Submit your iOS apps to the App Store - Apple Developer

Ok, thanks.
But Xojo probably shouldn’t prevent us to debug run an iOS app in such case, right?

There’s no way far the Xojo IDE to know when this change occurs.

So can we set XCode to allow building with non-latest iOS versions?
My point being, Xojo breaks building/running each time a new iOS version is available but not downloaded; there must be a way to not be forced to wait one hour to download the new iOS version.

You might be able to do that by not updating Xcode.

Xojo isn’t breaking this, Apple is. They want developers to be using the latest iOS SDK each year and yes, that breaks Xojo. Unfortunately it’s not just a number change for them though. They also have to ship new Xojo-compatible SDK files each year to make it work.

That said, to take advantage of any new features of the latest OS, you must be using the latest SDK anyway… and since end-users expect that, it’s not a bad trade off.

Does it cost iOS developers? Yes, but this is more of the Apple Tax than anything else.

Makes sense, I suppose.
It’s just annoying when we’re unaware of the reason.

Thanks for your answer.