Bundle ID for Cocoa

I just opened my current project in Xojo and can’t compile it based on needing a bundle ID. I have tried to change the “App Name” like the message is telling me, but I haven’t been successful yet. Has anyone else seen this for Cocoa builds?

Thanks

8538 MacCocoa: Valid Bundle ID’s are required for Cocoa. The bundle ID string must be a uniform type identifier (UTI) that contains only alphanumeric (A-Z,a-z,0-9), hyphen (-), and period (.) characters. The string should also be in reverse-DNS format (but this is NOT required).

1. In the navigator on the left, select BUILD SETTINGS > OS X.
  2. In the inspector on the right, type the name of your app in the Bundle Identifier field.

Does this solve the problem?

Ah perfect Alwyn thank you.

You’re welcome :wink:

Alwyn,

Are we not supposed to put a web site for the software in the bundle ID? Is there a discussion of what to put here in the documentation? I could not find any reference to it.

I believe one is supposed to use Reverse Domain Name notation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_domain_name_notation

in other words,

com.mycompany.myproduct

or

com.mycompany.myproduct.mysubproduct.myversion (etc.)

if you have a really complicated product line

Also, note that on Mac OS X, the value you put there matters, in the sense of it determines where preferences files and cache files get stored, and if you use sandboxing, it determines which app(s) can see which sandbox containers. So it’s not a decision to make lightly. More documentation would be helpful.

For new projects this sort of flows. I entered my company name which adjusted the bundle ID base which was saved, then I entered the project name which added to the bundle again. Now with each new project the bundle is set to a valid default.

As I work in Windows and deploy to Windows I haven’t fallen into any traps upgrading projects, but it would probably be a good thing to set this default information when agreeing to the license if it’s a new installation, and checking for correctness when upgrading.

The Bundle Identifier is covered in User Guide Book 1: Fundamentals, Chapter 6 (Application Structure), Section 1 (Desktop Applications).

Thanks for clearing this up.

I’m a primary Windows user so the importance of the bundle ID eluded me. Will make sure to use the bundle ID correctly in my projects from here-on.