Bootstrap complete example

Thanks Jeannot.
I am converting some Web 1.0 apps.
The performance gain is just too much to ignore comparing Web 1.0 and Web 2.0.
I would recommend moving to Web 2.0 for all.

Your tutorial would definitely help.
Thanks again.

1 Like

Thank you, in case your apps are using MBS ChartDirector, my latest article below might help you as well. But regardless of using MBS ChartDirector or not, the use of SVG might help many on others topics.

2 Likes

Dear Jeannot,
Iā€™d love to read your tutorial. But when I click on the link Medium replies with ā€œThe author deleted this Medium story.ā€ Am I doing anything wrong or has it moved somewhere else?
Thank you very much in advance.

1 Like

Jeannot has moved his blogs to an other site.
You can find his blogs here now.
Here is the link to the blog mentioned above.
https://blog.xojodocs.com/mbs-chartdirector-plugin-for-xojo-web2-and-retina-hidpi-results/

1 Like

@PaulS Thank you for pointing @Christine_Dettmer1 to the right location.

I apologize for the mess. I was quite busy recently, and secondly, I decided against medium for different reasons. Moving blogs is always a pain. Initially, I thought medium is a good idea (and for free), but they have a few caveats: mainly that it is a closed platform, getting all(!) of your data out from them is utmost impossible, secondly, they have few options for formatting code. Linking code snippets to them via github Gists is possible, but not very ā€œauthorā€-friendly. Plus many were complaining that they could only read 5 medium posts a month.

Medium has lots of nice thing to read BUT it only allow you to read 5 article a day unless you want to pay which is a pain. i was so happy when Jeannot decide to move to his current website

1 Like

Thank you for your kind help. I found it :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Jeannot

I certainly donā€™t demand that another user write a tutorial. Just tell me how you learned to use the new Bootstrap methodology. I echo the sentiments of others on this thread in that I am not so much unhappy with this 2.0 change, but totally flummoxed as to how to implement these changes (FYI, I am a complete noob to Xojo web). I never cared for Bootstrap back when I did web design simply because I had to override the settings too often, and I could write CSS just fine on my own (no master, but itā€™s easier for me to write from scratch for the simple stuff I am capable of doing). I have no idea, however, where to put the CSS overrides in Xojo. Raising the question of using CSS in the App HTML Header produces answers like ā€œuse the web sdkā€, which may be a good answer, but completely unworkable at my skill levelā€“though I would certainly be willing to read any documentation that existed (documentation that actually explains how to do it, not just what itā€™s for and how it evolved, which is all Iā€™ve seen so far).

From my point of view, itā€™s not learning new ways of doing things that I mind, itā€™s not being provided with an explanation of how to do these things.

Thank you
fritz

NB
I discovered youā€™re not doing much Xojo these days, but Iā€™m posting for the benefit of others in the thread who might still be looking for information as I am.

Paul

Iā€™m late to the party (and in the same jam as others on this thread). The larget of the links has moved again. Any idea where to?

Thanks for your trouble regardless
fritz

You can read Jeannotā€™s Xojo blogs on
https://xojo.jeannot-muller.com/.

Since Jeannot has stopped developing in Xojo at the time, he made his Web2 plug-ins open source.

Thank you, Paul. I did download one of his plugins, but I got a bunch of errors, indicating the code was no longer supported. I think I made some mistakes putting the whole folder in the plugins (since there wasnā€™t any file named ā€œPlug-inā€), but Iā€™ll sort that out by and by.

I appreciate you posting the link.
fritz

FYI: there is a nice web site with plenty information about bootstrapā€¦

Here (www.w3schools.com)

Itā€™s really a shame to see so many long-time Xojo, RS, RB users/proponents leaving Xojo, including me, in many cases because of Xojoā€™s major misstep in abandoning the fantastically unique, easy to use, reliable Web 1 product for this ā€œother thingā€ they happened to name Web 2. If I wanted to learn HTML, CSS, and Javascript Iā€™d be using another product (and now probably will). :pensive:

3 Likes

Opinions varyā€¦ For example Iā€™m pretty much statisfied with the way Web 2.0 is going. It still needs some fixes and improvements but it is still an order of magnintude easier to work in Xojo than with other HTML/CSS/JS tools.

3 Likes

Hector. My point isnā€™t that there should not be a product like Web 2.0. My point is that it is not a viable replacement for Web 1.0. To eliminate a product Iā€™ve relied on for can-not-fail applications (mostly in broadcast television) for years and replace it a completely different product targeting a totally different audience, well thatā€™s my point. It just isnā€™t right. Iā€™ve been using Web 1.0 since itā€™s first release for everything from live on-air graphics to large-scale infrastructure management. I even have it running in embedded application under Docker. These applications never have more than 20 or so users at a time (if that) but these companies pay me a LOT of money for them. With all the missing features in Web 2.0 Iā€™m left without the tool Iā€™ve relied on for many, many years. As a long time Xojo user why are your requirements more important than mine and all those like myself who have used it for small work groups instead of ā€œthe webā€?

1 Like

Iā€™m not claiming that my requirements are more important than yours, in fact I explicitly stated that opinions vary.
Killing Web 1.0 without a proper replacement was not the best move by Xojo, we can agree on that. Having said that there is no reason you canā€™t continue to use Web 1.0 if it suits your needs and happily continue making LOTS of money with your apps.

Thanks Hector, and sorry for my poor attitude on this subject. Iā€™ve been a proponent of Xojo (especially the web edition) for many years and this move caught me blindsided.

I would continue using Web 1.0 as you suggest were it not for one considerable issue, the lack of native Apple Silicon support. My platform of choice for on-prem installations historically has been the Mac Mini as a workgroup application server and all new Macs are based on Apple Silicon. Additionally a number of my ā€œdesktop appsā€ are essentially a DesktopHTMLViewer with an embedded Web 1.0 app providing the UI. I love the fact that I can scale the screen size dynamically to fit any display my users might have and also ā€œcastā€ the UI onto another computer (or device) running it in the local browser. None of this can be done with a conventional desktop app. Unfortunately without ā€œnativeā€ Apple Silicon support Web 1.0 is now limited to Windows and Linux. Iā€™ve suggested that Xojo should release a separate RAD product based on Web 1.0 (call it Web Classic or something). Iā€™d keep my Pro license in perpetuity if such a product were included and available. I donā€™t expect adding Apple Silicon compiler support to the Web 1.0 code base would be a major endeavor. Itā€™d be a shame to let the great product (formerly called Web 1.0) fade into the sunset. There are lots of us long-time users out here who rely on it.

3 Likes

No worries, I understand the frustration :wink:

As I mentioned killing Web 1.0 without a proper alternative was a really bad move from Xojo. I started developing web apps in Xojo using Web 1.0 and I really liked the idea of ā€œdesktop looking web appsā€. Xojo decided to ā€œmodernizeā€ the look and the product took a step backwards in functionality.

I am very optimistic about Web 2.0 but I canā€™t deny its still lacking. We got a new release today with many fixes, hopefully soon Web 2.0 will be the product we all root for.

Iā€™m downloading it now. Hopefully Iā€™ll be pleasantly surprised.