Black Friday Advice

I fell off the renewal wagon when it was no longer incentivized. Not to make a point or anything. I just lazily renewed when a deal hit. Without those events I never felt compelled. Anyway, I recall one discussion where someone said there’s no reason to renew, just buy a new license. I’m at that moment of buying and I can’t recall the reason exactly. Is it because you’d have two licenses? I don’t know that I need that unless the license scheme changed yet again. I have a laptop, occasional desktop, and I use parallels. Since the license can hop around with me do I really need two? I’m just me. Simple guy. If I only need one that’s all I want.

I just ran into this thread:

https://forum.xojo.com/28206-black-friday-deal

It seems the dual license was mentioned there with the suggestion to sell one. So it’s not an issue of functionality. Since I’m not in the business of re-selling licenses then the renewal has no downside.

An update adds time to existing license which may be better for you.

Mine expired. Like I said, I fell off the renewal wagon. They didn’t bump me from the beta list (shhh, I’m almost back in good graces) and in fact added me to the alpha list. But that is a good point, if I’m in that situation.

I think that with buying a new license, it allows you to compile/activate on more machines. (although with different versions)

Advantages of buying a new license:

You could sell the old one
You could give it to someone
You could use it on other computers
You might be able to use it for cross-trades (I just got a good deal for VMware by using an old Parallels license)
You can take advantage of discounts for new licenses (often deals are for new licenses only)

It is always better to have something that you do not need, than to need something that you don’t have.

I posted on the other thread why I think XOJO made a mistake going to this license rate structure… but then it is my opinion, and XOJO has the right to do what they wish, but at the same time we as customers have the right to “game” the system within the rules they set.

[quote=232386:@Markus Winter]Advantages of buying a new license:

You could sell the old one
You could give it to someone
[/quote]
You may be able to - see post on other thread

Dave, your post assumes that the rate of new users coming to Xojo outweighs the extra income that Xojo gets from abolishing 50% renewals.

Xojo thinks differently.

Which “might” tell you something about their ability to attract new users. I’m sure they thought long and hard about p***ing off their users …

Expansion slow, retention becomes negative

this is obvious, I still think they are wrong in the long term

Churning your customer base is never a good thing. Sure they may attract new customers, at the cost of old customers, and ultimately those “new customers” become old customers.

I for one have a license until 2017… but at the current rate of “change”, I doubt seriously if I will be one of those that renews at that time… and alot can happen in two years… so there may be other things that stop my incentive to renew at all. When it was $50 a year (RealBasic)… no big deal… now it is 6x that price, and while I do get a few more things, there is a ton of features that I am “paying” for that I have no need for.

But hey … its Xojo business… we have no say in how they run it… we just have a say in how much we wish to continue to support them

I’m in the same boat till 2017.

I also don’t really need Web and iOS, I’m perfectly fine with Desktop/Database/Console. It was more a case of “I’d rather have something I don’t need than find out I need something that I don’t have”.

And I just marvel at how bizarre it seems. Last year they could have said “We combine all your licenses and upgrade them to Pro till 2017 for $250 for each year” and gotten $750 from me. Instead they got nothing and pi**ed me seriously off.

I also have been contacted by others who made similar experiences. I even forwarded part of one of the emails to Geoff where they clearly miscommunicated on both sides. If it was me I would have reached out to the guy and said “We have become aware of a misunderstanding in our last conversation. Apologies and here is a 10% off voucher for any future purchase”, but when I suggested it I got the impression Geoff doesn’t agree with that either.

Well, it’s their business, and I’m sure they know best.

I wondered if I should put any more money into Xojo, or start to take my playing with Python and Swift more seriously. In the end I spend some money on renewing my MBS Complete license (at 50% off) so at least Christian is happy.

2018 promises to be an interesting year …

Same here. I dont even need the full desktop license as I’m only using xojo for Mac development so im going to wait for my license to expire and get a new mac only license when the time comes. The only thing interesting might be the web deployment.

I have a number of active licenses good for awhile:

Console Until Feb 18 2018 (which now says “Single board Computer”… when did THAT happen? )
Database Servers Until Feb 18 2018
Desktop until Feb 18 2020

I wonder if that means as of Feb 19 2018 I won’t be able to use the DB plugins …when I got the last extension of desktop it did not include DB servers and that later got folded back into desktop… I had expected I would after the DB license got merged back in with desktop back, and I’m sure would have in REALSoftware days, but now I’m not so sure. Console IMO should be included with desktop or maybe a $50 option but that boat has sailed long ago.

When my desktop license runs out I will be 65 I am not sure what I will do… But by then the licensing maybe (probably will be?) totally different yet again!

BTW how does one define a single board computer these days anyway? Isn’t a graphics co-processor another board?

• Karen

I allowed my Pro license to lapse last month, I wanted the previous renew price of $500 or whatever it was before.

Todays offer reduced the new Xojo Pro license purchase price to $559 which is acceptable to me so I bought a completely new one.

If it wasn’t for this offer I would not have made another purchase until there were some really significant new offerings which made a big difference to me - this might not have been until well into next year.

I mainly use Xojo for console and desktop programs and I don’t really need 64 bit right now but I guess it’s nice to have it and will make certain things a little easier for me.

[quote=232460:@Karen Atkocius]I have a number of active licenses good for awhile:

Console Until Feb 18 2018 (which now says “Single board Computer”… when did THAT happen? )
Database Servers Until Feb 18 2018
Desktop until Feb 18 2020

I wonder if that means as of Feb 19 2018 I won’t be able to use the DB plugins …when I got the last extension of desktop it did not include DB servers and that later got folded back into desktop… I had expected I would after the DB license got merged back in with desktop back, and I’m sure would have in REALSoftware days, but now I’m not so sure. Console IMO should be included with desktop or maybe a $50 option but that boat has sailed long ago.

When my desktop license runs out I will be 65 I am not sure what I will do… But by then the licensing maybe (probably will be?) totally different yet again!

BTW how does one define a single board computer these days anyway? Isn’t a graphics co-processor another board?

• Karen[/quote]

Currently the single board computer refers to compiling for the Raspberry Pi and probably other computers like it.